Wrox Programmer Forums
|
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 30th, 2005, 01:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to SolverSurfer
Default VB .Net MultiUser Environmnet?

Hi,

I am just getting into to Programming VB .NET. One thing that come into mind is that is VB .Net is intended for a multi-user environment? The reason I ask this question is that since that is being querried from the database are being manipulated in memory; therefore, when another user access that same information and make changes to those data then it would not reflect the change that is currently present in the other user memory. This is because of how dataset and dataview are designed.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Nicolas

Old June 30th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Friend of Wrox

This situation is known as data concurrency. If you expect that your users will be looking at/changing the same data you have to take this into account and write your application accordingly. If you use the .NET "wizards" to add data IO controls such as data adapters to your forms, it can construct update queries that use what is known as "pessimistic concurrency checks" on the updates. I'll explain in a simple example. Let's say we have a table "Users" with this structure:

Code:
UserID FirstName
====== =========
12     Nicolas
The key field on this table is UserID. Normally when you update this record, you use a query like this:

UPDATE Users SET FirstName='Peter' WHERE UserID=12

This is an optimistic update. You update it hoping that no one else has changed the FirstName field since you looked at it. The pessimistic update for this same record would look like this:

UPDATE Users SET FirstName='Peter' WHERE UserID=12 AND FirstName='Nicolas'

This query will only update the data if it hasn't changed since you looked at it. The ADO.NET DataTable keeps track of changes to rows and you can construct queries that have parameters tied to original values on changed rows. This allows for pessimistic updates that tell you if you can't update the row because of changed data.

-Peter