Wrox Programmer Forums
|
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 27th, 2003, 06:31 AM

Default Compact Framework on Pocket PC

Hello everybody,

I want to design an application for my IPaq PDA running Pocket PC with Win CE 3. My problem is, that to my knowledge the VS.NET 2003 has a deployment for PDA integrated, but as I only have VS.NET 2002 I can't find any option like that.

My first simple application is already written, but can't be executed without the required Compact Framwork Components. Does anybody have the experience to tell me how to deploy the necessary Modules or is there something like a installable Compact Framework from Microsoft with all the Modules for the Pocket PCs.

Thanks for your help,
Martin

Nobody is perfect!
Call me Nobody ;)

Old November 1st, 2003, 11:36 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to sempf

There never was a good version of the Compact Framework written for Visual Studio .NET 2002 for some reason. There is an add on for that version called the Smart Device Extensions, but I never got the Windows Forms part to work. The web forms part (the Mobile Internet Toolkit) worked pretty well, but the windows forms part never went that well.

I'd upgrade to VS.NET 2003 - it's only $49. Certainly worth the money and effort. If you want to give the SDE a try, you'll have to find a copy somewhere, because Microsoft discontinued it when .NET 1.1 came out. If you can't find it, let me know, I might have a copy somewhere.

Bill Sempf
Effective Visual Studio .NET

Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to brandonsaxe

Hi Bill,

I also have VS .Net 2000 and am looking for this functionality. I have the academic version, however, purchased for $99. I do not think an upgrade exists for me?? I'll have to do research. Anyway, I do not have the $99 to replace my current copy but I'd still like to try out these extensions. Could you find that copy of yours and send it my way?

Thanks!
Brandon Saxe

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sempf

There never was a good version of the Compact Framework written for Visual Studio .NET 2002 for some reason. There is an add on for that version called the Smart Device Extensions, but I never got the Windows Forms part to work. The web forms part (the Mobile Internet Toolkit) worked pretty well, but the windows forms part never went that well.

I'd upgrade to VS.NET 2003 - it's only $49. Certainly worth the money and effort. If you want to give the SDE a try, you'll have to find a copy somewhere, because Microsoft discontinued it when .NET 1.1 came out. If you can't find it, let me know, I might have a copy somewhere.

Bill Sempf
Effective Visual Studio .NET