Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 1.0 and Visual Studio.NET > VS.NET 2002/2003
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 24th, 2004, 01:24 AM

Default Connection problems after installing VS 2003

I recently installed VS 2003, and am having strange connection problems since then.

My symptoms are:
  • If I try to expand the Servers list in Server Explorer, it pops up a Server Explorer Error saying the type initializers for "System.Net.Dns" and "System.Net.Sockets.Socket" threw exceptions (I have the SQL Server Service Manager running and connected)
  • If I do "Check for updates" from the Help menu, it says it encountered errors when trying to download the required files
  • If I click on the Online Resources tab, it says "This feature requires that you have connected to the internet previously or are currently online.
  • And, now I can't launch MS Money any more!

I have a broadband connection (cable) and my regular internet connection is fine -- IE and Outlook Express work ok. Also, the internal browser in VS works fine. It's just those strange errors and the inability to launch Money.

Now, the only thing "different" I did in the installation was that although it forced me to install the J# framework (even though the install notes explicitly say you don't need to install it as a prerequisite) I uninstalled it right after that. The VS installer didn't seem to like that, because then it said that all of the prerequisites were out of date. Then I let it install them again (including the J# framework) but it still said they were out of date. I ended up having to use the setup option that allows you to bypass the prerequisites (they should have all been fine anyway). Since then, I have tried reinstalling IE 6, and reinstalling Visual Studio, but it hasn't fixed the problems at all.

Sorry for the long post, but has anyone had any similar problems to this, or have any ideas on how I can fix things? Thanks very much for any assistance.

Old February 27th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Friend of Wrox

I get the update error message every time when I install VS.Net but everything works.

Have you tried completely uninstalling, rebooting and re-installing?

If not I would make backups of any important files in Money, uninstall that, uninstall VS.Net, then reinstall them and see if that helps. You might also want to make sure that you have the latest service pack for SQL Server.

J
Old February 27th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:
If I do "Check for updates" from the Help menu, it says it encountered errors when trying to download the required files
I'm afraid I can't help you with your other issues, but make sure you aren't running a pop-up blocker when you attempt to "check for updates", as having one enabled will cause this error.

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by katsarosj
 I get the update error message every time when I install VS.Net but everything works.

Have you tried completely uninstalling, rebooting and re-installing?
Yes, I did try that, but am still having the same problems.
Quote:
quote:If not I would make backups of any important files in Money, uninstall that, uninstall VS.Net, then reinstall them and see if that helps.
I was finally able to get money working, by upgrading to a new version. My files seem ok, thank goodness.
Quote:
quote:You might also want to make sure that you have the latest service pack for SQL Server.

J
Hmm...I don't actually have SQL Server installed, but MSDE (Microsoft Server Desktop Engine), which is basically a standalone version of SQL Server. I downloaded it from MS's website so I would think it's the latest. The main thing I was wanting the Server explorer for was to maintain the db server users. On MS's website they say to use Enterprise Manager under MS SQL Server in the Start menu, but apparently MSDE doesn't come with that utility. Any idea about another way I can maintain the users for the database?

Thanks.

Old February 27th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff Mason

Quote:
quote:
Quote:
If I do "Check for updates" from the Help menu, it says it encountered errors when trying to download the required files
I'm afraid I can't help you with your other issues, but make sure you aren't running a pop-up blocker when you attempt to "check for updates", as having one enabled will cause this error.

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com
I don't use a pop-up blocker, but thanks for the idea though.

Old August 25th, 2004, 06:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to aimsoft Send a message via MSN to aimsoft

Have you checked the language settings in the Internet Explorer? Tools|Options and then click on the Language button. If US(English) is not in there, try additing it.

This is the quote from .NET 247 forum
(http://www.dotnet247.com/247referenc...50/250467.aspx)

I checked it because I have the same problem.
The language settings solves the problem !! It's amazing, isn't it? :)

--
aimsoft
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:Any idea about another way I can maintain the users for the database?
Check on the legal issues with this, but I have heard of some people downloading and installing the demo for SQL Server 2000. When they install it, they only install the Management Tools and this doesn't expire at the end of of the trial period.

You can use this to connect to your MSDE databases. I haven't actually tried this because I have full versions of SQL Server 2000 to work with, but I thought it was an interesting idea when I read it.

**Note: I am [u]not</u> supporting illegal software use. Make sure you check on this to ensure you aren't breaking the law. Anyone from Microsoft is welcome to chip in on this.

HTH

J
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:41 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to Jonax

Quote:
quote:It's amazing, isn't it? :)
... Sure is!