Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 25th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Authorized User

Default Wrox Survey Engine

Hi there, I have 2 questions.

The first one is of general interest:
Under each chapter, there are 3 folders on the CDROM called:
  • Installer
  • Modifications
  • Source

What is the difference of Source and Modifications? Is the Modificiations a "bugfree" version of Source?

I guess that Installer is one of the two in "installable" compression with setup.

Second question
I can't figure out, but when I open the Survey Engine from within VS2005 (including SQL Express 2005) I can run the site, but when I try to login I get this error:

(it's error messages are in Danish, but I hope the important script lines could give you a hint anyway?)

Code:
Serverfejl i programmet '/Source'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indekset lå uden for arrayets grænser. 
Beskrivelse: Der opstod en undtagelse, der ikke blev behandlet, under udførelse af den aktuelle webanmodning. Se staksporingen for at få yderligere oplysninger om fejlen, og hvor den kom fra i koden. 

Detaljer om undtagelse: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Indekset lå uden for arrayets grænser.

Kildefejl: 

Der blev oprettet en undtagelse, der ikke blev behandlet,  under kørsel af den aktuelle webanmodning. Du kan finde oplysninger om undtagelsens oprindelse og placering ved hjælp af nedenstående staksporing af undtagelser.  

Staksporing: 

[IndexOutOfRangeException: Indekset lå uden for arrayets grænser.]
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ReadColumn(Int32 i, Boolean setTimeout) +140
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ReadColumn(Int32 i) +30
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetDateTime(Int32 i) +35
   System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPasswordWithFormat(String username, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Int32& status, String& password, Int32& passwordFormat, String& passwordSalt, Int32& failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32& failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount, Boolean& isApproved, DateTime& lastLoginDate, DateTime& lastActivityDate) +1105
   System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +157
   System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved) +68
   System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password) +100
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AuthenticateUsingMembershipProvider(AuthenticateEventArgs e) +100
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e) +113
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +178
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +133
   System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +56
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +107
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +177
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +31
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +32
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +72
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3840

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Versionsoplysninger: Microsoft .NET Framework version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET version:2.0.50727.42
Regards
Carsten Berggreen
Monolith-Systems
Denmark
Denmark
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Carsten,

The source folder contains the raw source for each application.

The Modifications folder contains the end result of the modification exercises that you can download from the Wrox site and which you also find on the CD-ROM. The mods take you through adding functionality to the site, step by step. To see what you should end up with, the Modifications folder contains the final result.

The installer folder contains an executable Windows installer that helps you install the app under IIS.

Could you do a rough translation of the SQL Error message? There are a number of reasons for errors like these, so the lines of code don't say much unfortunately....

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Authorized User

okay, to reproduce the error:
Set the "default.aspx" as Startup page and run the version in the "source folder"

Then click, "admin" menu and write "Admin" and "password#" as stated in the book. Then I get THIS error:

(roughly translated)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Servererror in the program "/Source".
Serverfejl i programmet '/Source'.

The index is outside the boundary of the array.
Indekset lå uden for arrayets grænser.

Description: An exception occured, that wasn't handled,
Beskrivelse: Der opstod en undtagelse, der ikke blev behandlet,

under execution of the actual/current webrequest. See stacktracing to
under udførelse af den aktuelle webanmodning. Se staksporingen for

gain further informations about the error and where i came from in the code.
at få yderligere oplysninger om fejlen, og hvor den kom fra i koden.

Details regarding the exeception: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: The index was outside the boundary/limits of the array.
Detaljer om undtagelse: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Indekset lå uden for arrayets grænser.

Source/script-error:
Kildefejl:

(here goes the same error text again, now without the object mentioned)
Der blev oprettet en undtagelse, der ikke blev behandlet, under kørsel af den aktuelle webanmodning. Du kan finde oplysninger om undtagelsens oprindelse og placering ved hjælp af nedenstående staksporing af undtagelser.

Stacktracing:
Staksporing:

......................... index was outside boundary of array...
[IndexOutOfRangeException: Indekset lå uden for arrayets grænser.]

Does this help you somehow?

If not, try takeing the code from the source lib. and run it... click admin-menu and write "admin" and "password#"... and bingo... my version crashes...

Any ideas?

Regards
Carsten Berggreen
Monolith-Systems
Denmark
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100

Hi there,

This sounds like the error described here: http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43148

Can you follow the steps described there and see if that works for you?

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Authorized User

okay, I'll try to delete the ASPNET mdf, as there is no "read only" attribute set on any of the files.... strange, it have never worked, I think I will try to copy the source folder from the CD again too...

But first, I am gonna delete the ASPNET db and redo the admin etc.

Regards
Carsten Berggreen
Monolith-Systems
Denmark
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Wrox Author

Yeah, I think that should do the trick, as you have the exact same error....

Imar
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Authorized User

Yes! it worked, replacing the "faulty" ASPNET mdf file and reconfiguring the "Admin" and "SuperAdmin" with Roles etc. via the ASPNET configuration site - worked!...

A bit frustrating at first, after trying almost everything else... but somehow the ASPNET mdf must be corrupt on the CDROM...?

Whatever... it works this way! :-D

Regards
Carsten Berggreen
Monolith-Systems
Denmark
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Wrox Author

I am not 100% sure, but it could be that a beta version of the database made it to the CD-ROM, instead of a RTM version... :-(

Anyway, glad it's working now...

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars