Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old November 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Authorized User

Default RssReader web parts now work on Default.aspx

I was not satisfied with the customer service at my web host, so I switched to DiscountASP.net, and coincidentally, all my Rss problems are gone. The RssReader web parts now display "Latest Articles", "Latest Threads", perfectly.

Old November 12th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Friend of Wrox

DiscountASP.NET is a good company with first-rate tech support. Some of us also like WebHost4Life. These 2 companies are great choices for small-to-medium shared hosting sites. You can pay several times more elsewhere and get worse performance and support.

Old November 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Authorized User

Could you possibly find out what the answer was. I'm still hosting our own site and would like to know what the fix was.

Steve L

Old November 19th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Authorized User

I'll post a question to the DiscountASP.net help system and get back to you if I get an answer. I would like to know myself for reference.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Authorized User

I explained (in detail) to my current host support team about my RssReader control, and how on my previous host these controls were unable to retrieve data from the GetArticlesRss datasource (which is written in XML).

I explained how this all works great on their servers.

I then asked them if they know how they support this, and how their servers must be setup to accomplish this. Special software, settings, scripts, etc....

They are willing to help me but they need some more details about the error.

Before I respond to my current host support team, I'll tell you what I found when I was with my old host (which had no technical support to speak of), which doesn't help much:

An exception is thrown in Controls/RssReader.ascx.cs in DoBinding() which I have traced to the statement:

feed.Load(GetFullUrl(this.RssUrl));

GetFullUrl is equal to "http://www.ewdtestsite.com/GetArticlesRss.aspx", which is fine.

The exception displayed at the top of Default.aspx:
"The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.ewdtestsite.com'"

I caught this by changing the catch block in DoBinding() as follows:
catch (Exception ex)
         {
             Response.Write(ex.Message + "<br />");
             //this.Visible = false;
         }

Before I send this information, do you have any better diagnostic data, error messages, or more specific questions which will help them to give us the answer we are looking for?

I'm very happy this stuff works now, since it's a great feature, but I want to be able to ask any other prospective hosts in the future a specific question which will tell me if the RssReader controls will work, before I sign up.

Also, like you, if I want to run my own servers someday, how do I set them up to support this technology?

Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Friend of Wrox

It looks to me like they didn't have DNS loaded and enabled for their internal network addresses. When you hit your domain from outside their network you get a public IP, but when you hit it from inside the network you need to get a private IP for that network zone (also called DMZ).

This should be easy to test since 2005 has DNS lookup support. Just do some googling to get the details. And then try to do a simple DNS lookup of your own name from your server. You should get back a private IP starting with 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 16.xxx.xxx.xxx. If it fails, then you found the problem. Or, if it returns a public IP that may also be wrong, depending on how many servers are in their web zone.

At my company we have a handful of servers in the web zone, and we have disabled DNS services within that zone. Normally a server won't have to look itself up :-)

Eric

Old November 28th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Authorized User

Englere,

So your saying the answer is to have DNS loaded and enabled for the internal network addresses? Any more?

Steve

Old November 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Authorized User

I had two separate IP's:

1. An IP for connecting to the DB from code in my website. (e.g. 192.xxx.xx.xx)

2. An IP for connecting to the DB externally using SQL Server Management Studio. (e.g. 64.xx.xx.xx)

Old November 28th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Authorized User

When I hit my domain from the server I get the public 66.210.xxx.xxx address that my domain name maps too. It seems englere is saying this is wrong. Englere, please elaborate.

Old November 29th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:1. An IP for connecting to the DB from code in my website. (e.g. 192.xxx.xx.xx)
The private IP, which can only be hit from the web server VLAN.

Quote:
quote:2. An IP for connecting to the DB externally using SQL Server Management Studio. (e.g. 64.xx.xx.xx)
A public IP that works from the internet.

Some companies have this kind of isolated addressing for the internal network, but not all of them have it. Sometimes they only use public IPs.

Isolated is better for them - more secure. But also harder to set up. But giving you a public IP to hit the DB server seems to go against the added security benefit.

Eric