Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Friend of Wrox

Thanks oooshola!

This is the problem! My hoster Company doesn't allow external connections to Database!
By that I can't use DBPW in the future!

In other hand, if I use Eric script, and upload him... Can I connect to my local DB if this application is online?
Because if it is online I can onnect to my online DB! I only need to know the right connectionString to connect from online application to my local DB!

Suppose that you want connect to my local DB. If I give you my IP, and open all ports for your IP, could you connect to my local sql express 2005 DB?
What connectionString would you use?

Thanks one more time!

BTH:
Quote:
quote:you still have to launch your browser, sign into admin on your site, press the button, start your FTP program, and download it to your computer!
I still can make a direct download to me file.sql were ended... With that I don't need to open my client FTP :)

Old October 7th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Authorized User

That's very unfortunate that you can't look at your database within visual studio, which is very convenient even while just programming (in addition to using the DBPW).

I've always liked the easiness of just right-clicking on my database in Visual Studio to save the big sql script to my computer. So, no offense, but please tell me your hosting company so I know not to sign up with them! :)

Old October 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Friend of Wrox

You didn't reply my question!
What queryString you would use in order to connect to my localDB ?

>>>So, no offense, but please tell me your hosting company so I know not to sign up with them! :)

GoDaddy!
Sooner or later they will allow external connections!
Beside this, i like godaddy!
It's very fast, large bandwidth, large capacity, and cheap!

Doesn't exist a host with 100% coverage for our needs!
I prefer a fast, good and cheaper server!

One more thing!
If one shared host allow external connections, it's probably that some users use one DB to connect with various applications (inside or outside) the hoster server...

This can traduce a lower performance... So, I'm not worried!
I just need to make my script :(

Old October 8th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Authorized User

Another beauty of the DBPW is that you don't have to provide the explicit connection string, per-say, to connect to any database. In Visual Studio's server explorer, you just right click on any DB, and you get a form you have to fill out: server ip, username, and password. It's even easier if you're connecting to your own computer, because no username and password is needed--just use "windows authentication" instead of "SQL server authentication".

So i would connect to your DB using SQL server authentication after you give me the IP, a username, and a password. (However, there also is an option to use an explicit connection string if I wanted to).

The best way to see this happen is to actually try out the DBPW...perhaps look at that tutorial.

But if you have GoDaddy, I'm sure they have a way to at least download a true backup (.bak) of your database using the GoDaddy control panel. If you're really out of time, I would just go with some way that works for now, instead of pulling your hair out trying to solve the binary problem in your script.

If you really need to solve the problem, either ask the author of that script for help, or maybe examine the sql file that the DBPW outputs (test out the DBPW on your project's .mdf on your computer). It may give you an idea of how to convert string -> binary correctly. Then maybe you can fix your own script yourself.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Maxxim
 You didn't reply my question!
What queryString you would use in order to connect to my localDB ?

>>>So, no offense, but please tell me your hosting company so I know not to sign up with them! :)

GoDaddy!
Sooner or later they will allow external connections!
Beside this, i like godaddy!
It's very fast, large bandwidth, large capacity, and cheap!

Doesn't exist a host with 100% coverage for our needs!
I prefer a fast, good and cheaper server!

One more thing!
If one shared host allow external connections, it's probably that some users use one DB to connect with various applications (inside or outside) the hoster server...

This can traduce a lower performance... So, I'm not worried!
I just need to make my script :(

Old October 8th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:The best way to see this happen is to actually try out the DBPW...perhaps look at that tutorial.
I will see! I'd like to find the connection string and try to connect to my local DB from my hoster.

Quote:
quote:But if you have GoDaddy, I'm sure they have a way to at least
download a true backup (.bak) of your database using the GoDaddy control panel.
Yes they have!
They have a a WEB sqladminEditor!
It's not so bad at all...
The disadvantage is that I need to select one table at the time from dropdown menu and then CUT the Querys from a huge generated textBox!
I have 20 tables on my DB... I need to do this 20 times!
But I believe that my requests to them, helped to turn on this feature... In the past they only generated this under a xml schema!
I ask goDaddy (20 times from past 5 months) to provide a template to generate all the inserts of the db and save this file into host area (or provide a automatically download :) )

Quote:
quote:If you're really out of time, I would just go with some way that works for now, instead of pulling your hair out trying to solve the binary problem in your script.
Of course! I'll give up from trying to translate binary to string if I see no hawsers to this(and other forums) question(s).

The problem is that i don't want to repeat my code!
Many users use and made scripts like this... I can't understand why nobody give me the hawser....

Quote:
quote:(test out the DBPW on your project's .mdf on your computer). It may give you an idea of how to convert string -> binary correctly.
I will! I thought that DBPW was simple: "Click and see the inserts..."
But if you say that, maybe I can see some of their code!

The DBPW that you use is the one provided by this page:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...nt-part-1.aspx

?

oooshola, you was a big help!
thanks to ear my lamentations... :)

Old October 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Authorized User

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...nt-part-1.aspx

Yes, that is the tutorial. But you can probably skip Step 1 since you already have a website set up.

Wow, that is a very awkward Sql Server admin panel! One of my hosts allows me to download the whole mdf file at once. And both of my hosts allow external connections...They're $12 and $17 a month, but they're 10X more flexible than GoDaddy. They are worth the price for what I need to do.

Glad I can help.

Old October 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Friend of Wrox

I paid $7...

For this:
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosti...p?ci=9009#tabs

Old October 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Authorized User

Well your paying for this problem too! I'm gladly paying double that for convenience, avoidance of odd problems like this, and also:

-Easy access to my DBs within visual studio
-Use of the DBPW

Plus the size cap of one of my host's DB is 400MB, with one host, and I get unlimited number of databases with the other host.

Old October 9th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Maxxim

I used your script to make my own script with "Inserts" lines...
You used something like:
Code:
Byte[] b = new Byte[(dr.GetBytes(col, 0, null, 0, int.MaxValue))];
        dr.GetBytes(col, 0, b, 0, b.Length);
        param.Value = b;

But this is for retrieve a binary and insert as binary...

I need to retrieve as binary and convert to string (in VB)
Why is that? The program I wrote is a data pumper. It connects to both the source and target DB at the same time and then it pumps the records across. No need for strings or files of any kind.

But this isn't efficient as a routine backup mechanism.

The SQL Script solution is entirely different. That's a good choice, too, but that's not how my program works. I require the target tables to already exist and be empty. The SQL Script method can create the tables and procs as well as populate the data.

Eric

Old October 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Friend of Wrox

Eric!

I said before that my script is different from yours in that!

you connect 2 datasources!
I connect to one source database, and want to save all fields in one sql file!

I have all made, but don't know how can i retrieve a binary/image field and convert it to string.
This string will be used later in the insert query!

I saw that you are hard to find Eric...
So, next time you came here, please tell me how would you do this!
For you is just a 2 ou 3 line of code!
For me is 10 days trying to find the right convert code without success! :(

Thanks a lot!