Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
 
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 310
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default upload aspnet membership schema

I have a basic question...

On my local machine I already have my aspnet generated tables and procedures with more than 500 members in profile & membership...

I created an webHosting account.

Do I need to create a schema for aspnet membership/profile etc...? Or I just need to insert my long sql file with all the structure from my local db?

Thanks!

 
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 917
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd prune down the local DB by removing anonymous records and then I'd generate a SQL script to port the tables and data to the target DB. See my sticky message on that in the top of this forum.

Eric

 
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 310
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello Englere!
I followed your sticky...
My big problem is the oldest problem with binary fields... :(

I used your script to make my own script with "Inserts" lines...
You used something like:
Code:
Byte[] b = new Byte[(dr.GetBytes(col, 0, null, 0, int.MaxValue))];
        dr.GetBytes(col, 0, b, 0, b.Length);
        param.Value = b;


But this is for retrieve a binary and insert as binary...

I need to retrieve as binary and convert to string (in VB)

I hate binary fields...
I had spent many hours searching a resolution without success...

 
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Authorized User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Maxxim
 Hello Englere!
I followed your sticky...
My big problem is the oldest problem with binary fields... :(

I used your script to make my own script with "Inserts" lines...
You used something like:
Code:
Byte[] b = new Byte[(dr.GetBytes(col, 0, null, 0, int.MaxValue))];
        dr.GetBytes(col, 0, b, 0, b.Length);
        param.Value = b;


But this is for retrieve a binary and insert as binary...

I need to retrieve as binary and convert to string (in VB)

I hate binary fields...
I had spent many hours searching a resolution without success...

I've always just used Microsoft's database publishing wizard with no problems...It works great, it doesn't matter where you host, and it's integrated with Visual Studio once you install it.

 
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 310
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

And when you'll need to change your online DB from a online host to another? ;)

If I have one script, i can use it wherever i want..
I only could use microsoft wizard from my VS...
If my host company doesn't offer me the possibility to have external connections...
Suppose that in the future months I'll be disliked with them and think about moving... I can't use this script at this moment... right?

I prefer to make my script now, and don't think about it anymore!
If I someday want to change, I can make this with a couple of clicks...

I just need to know how can I convert binary -> string -> binary ! :(
I'm killing my head with this


 
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Authorized User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Maxxim
 And when you'll need to change your online DB from a online host to another? ;)

If I have one script, i can use it wherever i want..
I only could use microsoft wizard from my VS...
If my host company doesn't offer me the possibility to have external connections...
Suppose that in the future months I'll be disliked with them and think about moving... I can't use this script at this moment... right?

I prefer to make my script now, and don't think about it anymore!
If I someday want to change, I can make this with a couple of clicks...

I just need to know how can I convert binary -> string -> binary ! :(
I'm killing my head with this
IMHO, if my host didn't allow external connections from the DBPWizard, or from Sql Server Management Studio, I would change hosts immediately. There are too many hosts out there that do allow for these connections; I wouldn't stick with a host that doesn't.

My point is that the DBPW relies completely on sql and is therefore the most portable and elegant of options when it comes to switching hosts, or uploading a DB, or backing up a DB on your local computer.

I am however unsure about your binary problem; I've always been the kind of programmer that's reluctant to storing binary data in a DB rather than the web server's filesystem, because of cost and speed (if it's a large binary field), and also (ironically) because of odd conversion issues like this.

Besides, if you change your hosting company in the future you're going to need something like the DBPW to backup and restore everything, not just the static schema, but all the new data right?

Perhaps I am not sure how the DBPW is a drawback for your situation.
 
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 310
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What do you call from static schema?
The script that I'm talking about is a web page, equally to the Eric was made...
Eric script retrieve from one BD to insert in another.
My script retrieve from DB to insert all the insert lines into a sql/txt file!

Quote:
quote:
Besides, if you change your hosting company in the future you're going to need something like the DBPW to backup and restore everything, not just the static schema, but all the new data right?
With the script that I made, i don't need DBPW.
-I just need to open my page www.mydomain.com/admin/backupdb.aspx
-Click in one button.
-Open my ftpClient, and download this huge sql file!

(BTW... With this script I made weekly backups to one single sql file)

I don't need anything more...

 
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Authorized User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So you have used the DBPW before?

Well I haven't used Eric's script before, but from what you are saying, the DBPW works the same way. The DBPW gives you one big single sql file (no ftp download necessary. It saves the sql file directly on your computer).

In the DBPW, there are also some nice options you can play with also. You can easily omit certain things you don't need to be saved to the sql file.

Again, I don't know how to solve your binary problem with Eric's script. But, the DBPW apparently does binary conversion automatically and correctly. That is why I am suggesting that you use it. It's up to you.

Here is proof it works: Go here and search for the word "binary":
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...nt-part-1.aspx
 
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Friend of Wrox
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 310
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello oooshola!

No, i never used DBPW...
The problem is, that I an't run it from my online server...
I have always to open vs, open my local projet and then run the wizard!

This wizard don't work with diagrams...
Do the TBH use diagrams?

cya!

 
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Authorized User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Maxxim
 Hello oooshola!

No, i never used DBPW...
The problem is, that I an't run it from my online server...
I have always to open vs, open my local projet and then run the wizard!

This wizard don't work with diagrams...
Do the TBH use diagrams?

cya!
Well with your method, you still have to launch your browser, sign into admin on your site, press the button, start your FTP program, and download it to your computer!

The fact is, there really aren't many more steps with DBPW. Plus your binary problem would be solved if you use it.

The DBPW doesn't script the "visual" diagrams themselves, but it scripts what the diagrams actually mean. For example, DBPW will script the actual foreign keys that you set up in the diagrams. It takes care of everything that is necessary to run TBH.

Are you allowed to connect to your remote DB from Visual Studio? This should be a standard feature from your host.






Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASPNET account for ASPNET.MDF DB-Please help rsearing ASP.NET 2.0 Basics 13 November 6th, 2007 11:54 PM
DELMONTE\ASPNET data_art BOOK: Wrox's ASP.NET 2.0 Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Starter ISBN: 978-0-7645-8807-5 4 July 13th, 2006 05:06 PM
Convert ASPNET 1.1 Project To ASPNET 2.0 hunzian78@yahoo.com ASP.NET 2.0 Basics 3 June 29th, 2006 02:59 PM
Schema to Schema conversion onlyda XSLT 5 March 23rd, 2006 12:25 PM





Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2020 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.