Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > ASP.NET and ASP > ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1 > BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 1.0 with C# by Chris Goode, John Kauffman, Christopher L. Miller, Neil Raybould, S. Srinivasa Sivakumar, Dave Sussman, Ollie Cornes, Rob Birdwell, Matt Butler, Gary Johnson, Ajoy Krishnamoorthy, Juan T. Llibre, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764543708
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Authorized User

Default Don't see Server Controls at my explorer

I have just started my learning and I have install Visual Studio .NET , a full version, but I don't understand why after writing a very small code and a simple one, I don't see the Server Control I used in my Explorer when I browse.

I Just use one Label and two Text Box. What can be the problem?

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Friend of Wrox

You have to add it to the toolbox. Right-click one of the toolboxes, select Add/Remove Items. Hit browse, find your DLL, and open it. It will select the controls within the component to add to the toolbox, so hit OK.

One thing to note, if you are adding the control to a project (for example TestProject), and the control was coded in TestProject, you may have some issues occur. For me, it adds the TestProject dll as a reference in the TestProject project, and got referencing errors all over. So I moved it to an outside project (can be in same solution).

I hope that makes sense.

Brian
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Authorized User

Hi again,

I have only two files (ASPX , CS). I have drag and drop the Label I used and the TextBox from the toolbox. I can see them at the code and in the HTML view also, but after asking for Build and Browse I see nothing on my page.

Which DLL do I need to look for?

Old July 27th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Friend of Wrox

Hey,

OK, I thought you were talking about a custom control that you built. Sorry, that's a different topic altoghether. Ignore the previous reply.

Did you:
- Build the project with no errors found in the application
- Make sure they are declared in the code-behind page (as Protected WithEvents)

Not sure. The label won't appear if there is no text in it. Can you post the code? I could tell if I see that.

Brian
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Authorized User

Hi,

I found the problem and the solution. There was a problem with the installation of Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect . I had to write this line in my Command Prompt window in order to enable the ASP.NET by myself:

C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\aspnet_ regiis.exe /i

It probably activate the Framework what I needed in order to see the Server Control. I don't know why the installation did not do it by it's own. Maybe a bug!

Old July 28th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hey,

Well yes the framework would then be the issue. It should have been installed as part of the prerequisites. I install Enterprise Architect and it installed for me.

That's weird.

Brian
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Points: 1,897, Level: 17 Points: 1,897, Level: 17 Points: 1,897, Level: 17
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to rupen

Dose it required to restart you pc? Since, I am accessing from server, and i m getting the same problem, now i have run the command u mentioned, so should i restart server?

Rupen Anjaria.:)
------------------
We CAN'T avoid problems, but can solve it.