Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Authorized User
Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Stuck on chapter 3 and just cant get past it

Hi there. Im new to this website. After a lot of research into the best book around to learn asp.net, I decided on this book: Spaanjaars-Beginning ASP.net 3.5 in c# and vb.

Im a masters degree student who'd studied a bit of Java prior to this but who needs to learn .net on his own.

I am stuck on chapter 3. For some reason whenever I try to build the site the following errors are coming up:

Error 1 The file '/Site/Demos/CssDemo.aspx.cs' does not exist. C:\BegASPNET\Site\Demos\CssDemo.aspx 1

Error 2 The file '/Site/Demos/TableDemo.aspx.cs' does not exist. C:\BegASPNET\Site\Demos\TableDemo.aspx 1

Error 3 The file '/Site/Demos/CodeBehind.aspx.cs' does not exist. C:\BegASPNET\Site\Demos\CodeBehind.aspx 1

At first I thought it was somethng I'd done wrong as I am only at the start of the book, but after downloading your code from this site and opening it in Java, it still gives me these errors so Im not sure why that is?

Can someone help me with why this is as I cant get any futher in the book without these errors???

Kindest Regards

Lee
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forum....

What do you mean with
Quote:
but after downloading your code from this site and opening it in Java
This is about .NET; there's no Java involved here... ;-)

How are you opening the site / source? Here's what should work:

1. Make sure your site is in C:\BegASPNET\Site. The site folder should contain the file Default.aspx (and others) and the Demos folder

2. Open up Visual Web Developer

3. Choose File | Open Web Site or File | Open | Web Site depending on your configuration and browse to C:\BegASPNET\Site

4. The site should appear in the Solution Explorer. You should again see Default.aspx in the root, as well as a Demos folder

5. Open the file from the Demos folder in VWD by double-clicking it and hit Ctrl+F5. It should now appear in your browser.

If that doesn't work, can you explain what steps you've followed and what you're doing exactly? (That is, how the site looks in VWD, what you see in the address bar of the browser, where exactly you get these errors and so on?)

Hope this helps,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Authorized User
Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3

Default My response

Sorry that was a simple typing error on my behalf. What I meant to say was "opened in visual studio" ,not "opened in Java". I have simply been working my way through the first 3 chapters, and following them exactly as the book says. However, it has stopped compiling whenever I choose "Build website" and is coming up with the errors I mentioned:

Server Error in '/Site' Application.
Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Error 1 The file '/Site/Demos/CssDemo.aspx.cs' does not exist. C:\BegASPNET\Site\Demos\CssDemo.aspx 1

Error 2 The file '/Site/Demos/TableDemo.aspx.cs' does not exist. C:\BegASPNET\Site\Demos\TableDemo.aspx 1

Error 3 The file '/Site/Demos/CodeBehind.aspx.cs' does not exist. C:\BegASPNET\Site\Demos\CodeBehind.aspx 1

Futhermore in the browser rather than opening the Planet Wrox page it said this:

Parser Error Message: The file '/Site/Demos/CodeBehind.aspx.cs' does not exist.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="CodeBehind.aspx.cs" Inherits="Demos_CodeBehind" %>
Line 2:
Line 3: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Source File: /Site/Demos/CodeBehind.aspx Line: 1

I thought it was something I hadn't done properly while i'd been following the code but even AFTER downloading the source code from your site regarding this book and simply opening the site I still get the following errors:

Any reccomendations that I should do to get it working and compiling?
Perhaps my settings aren't correct or something I'm not sure?

Kind Regards

Lee
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Lee,

You should be able to open the source from the Wrox site in VWD directly and run it without any problems. I've done that myself many times, and so have many other readers. So, there must be something wrong with either your setup, or the way you approach things. Let's try to find out what it is.

First, take a look at C:\BegASPNET\Site\Demos. Do you see, besides the *.aspx files, a number of aspx.cs files (e.g. the Code Behind files with a double extension). The error message suggests those aren't there. They are present in the code download but maybe they've been filtered by security software? Also, check out the same folder from the extracted Code Download. Do you see the files there?

Secondly, what version of VWD are you using? (Help | About MS Visual Studio)

Finally, look in the Solution Explorer. When you expand an aspx item, do you see its Code Behind file there? Maybe you moved them to a separate folder?

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Last edited by Imar; October 13th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: spelling