Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Dreamweaver MX/MX 2004 MX ISBN: 978-0-7645-4404-0; MX 2004 ISBN: 978-0-7645-5524-4
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Dreamweaver MX by Charles E. Brown, Imar Spaanjaars, Todd Marks; ISBN: 9780764544040
Please indicate which version of the book you are using when posting questions.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Dreamweaver MX/MX 2004 MX ISBN: 978-0-7645-4404-0; MX 2004 ISBN: 978-0-7645-5524-4 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 14th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DellTah
Don't know if the above helps
Not really; what's important to know is how the WebServer is trying to access the database on the FileServer. While reading your posts again, I saw this: X:
This probably won't work, as X is probably mapped for your account, but not for the IUSR (or other IIS account). Always use a UNC path, like \\FileServer\SomeShare\SomeDatabase.mdb to avoid mapping issues.

But how do these machines interact? Am I right in my assumption there is a FileServer and a WebServer? Are both of them running Windows 2000 Server? And how does your data access code look like?

This can be frustrating to fix; in most cases, the issue would have been resolved with the FAQs I posted, but apparently there's more in your network than meets the eye.....

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
While typing this post, I was listening to: Earner by Bitmonx What's This?
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Authorized User

This might be what you refer to as the data access code:

<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>

<%
Dim rsFileName
Dim rsFileName_numRows

Set rsFileName = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rsFileName.ActiveConnection = MM_connFileName_STRING
rsFileName.Source = "SELECT * FROM [table]"
rsFileName.CursorType = 0
rsFileName.CursorLocation = 2
rsFileName.LockType = 1
rsFileName.Open()

rsFileName_numRows = 0
%>

I've tried to reconfigure the ODBC (p396 your DW2004 book) to the network path instead of file letter designation (using the system "alias").

DW is pulling info off the the dsn file right, and the dsn file for this connection is as follows:

[ODBC]
DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)
UID=admin
UserCommitSync=Yes
Threads=3
SafeTransactions=0
PageTimeout=5
MaxScanRows=8
MaxBufferSize=2048
FIL=MS Access
DriverId=25
DefaultDir=X:DBQ=X:\FileName.mdb

And yes, the FileServer/WebServer is the interaction. And they are all on Windows2000.

thanks.
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100

Try something like this:

Dim connString
connString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
         "Data Source=\\myServer\myShare\myPath\myDb.mdb"

rsFileName.ActiveConnection = connString
rsFileName.Open()

This assigns an OleDb connection string pointing to a network path. If this doesn't work with the security settings I described earlier, I am out of ideas.....

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old April 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Authorized User

Does this make sense:

When I try to reset or reconfigure the database connection from "32bitODBC Administrator", I'm getting an error now that another user is using the file and has exclusive rights. (I'm in the process of finding out who in our network).

When I establish the Recordset within DW2004, and test it, all the records are available.

I sounds like the connection string now is alright, having it changed to the network path instead of drive name; the ODBC is what's having issues.

The question then is back to this: Can multiple users established on different computers with their distinct ODBC connections simultaneously access a database file?

Old April 15th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Authorized User

Here's another puzzling thing: I've re-established the ODBC connection and have DW2004 running, using this connection string. Now I go back to the ODBC Administrator setup, and then tried to "repair" it, the error message reads, "You attempted to open a database that is already openned exclusively by user "Me" on machine "My_Machine". Try again when the database is available"!!! (?)

Maybe it's just possessed or something. I'll try this on another machine.
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Authorized User

Well here's the result... Good news and bad news...
When I went on another machine, I was successful in posting the data from IE! But here's the bad news, this is the ONLY computer that can access it! I tried going on other computers to access it, and ran into the same error!

Any thoughts?

Old April 15th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Wrox Author

I am not sure why you get this error, but ODBC is known to have some stability issues. That's why Microsoft recommends OleDb.

I don't know why only one machines succeeds, and the others don't. Can this be a configuration issue? How did you configure the web server? What account is it using? Is the successful machine on a domain and the others aren't? Were you logged in with a different account on the other machine?

It would *really* help if you'd provide more information about your situation and setup. There's not much point in me asking loads of questions and trying to guess what's going on......

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Authorized User

I've changed the configuration again, now to look like this:

I have my localserver (where I'm editing the webpage from DW2004), remote=testing server (where the site is previewed), and then the fileserver is where the database resides.

Both webservers have independent URLs.

Both of these (remote and local) uses the same account, based on the same user (me). The fileserver account is accessible because I'm part of a group, AND the remote/local domain has been authorized to fully edit/read the database file on the fileserver.

The situation remains as follows:

From my remote/testing machine:
*When I preview the webpage from the remote/testing machine with the remote/testing URL, I have the same error that either the database is being used exclusively by another user or that no authorization exists.

*When I preview the webpage from the remote/testing machine with the local URL, the same error appears.

From my local machine:
*When I access the webpage from my local machine and type in the URL for the localserver, I am successful in viewing the page.

*From my local machine, when I type in the URL to the remoteserver, I have the same error (data exclusivity or permission issue).
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Wrox Author

This definitely sounds like a security setting issue to me. Apparently, on one machine you use a different user account than on others. Maybe on some machine you auto logon in the "Intranet Zone" and on another you don't. You may also have a "delegation problem" where your security account is transferred from machine A to B, but can't travel to C.

Add the following ASP code to the top of your page:

Response.Write("User is " & Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER"))
Response.End

This writes out the user name used for the current request, and then stops the output. Run this on all scenario's and see if you're using a different user account in those different scenario's. Maybe that will shed some light.

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
While typing this post, I was listening to: Second Sight by Placebo (Track 10 from the album: Sleeping with Ghosts) What's This?
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Authorized User

All 4 scenerios show the same username/account... (me)