Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP5, Apache, and MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-7966-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP5, Apache, and MySQL Web Development by Elizabeth Naramore, Jason Gerner, Yann Le Scouarnec, Jeremy Stolz, Michael K. Glass; ISBN: 9780764579660
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP5, Apache, and MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-7966-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Authorized User

Default **UPDATE** CH 12 Creating htaccess and htpasswd

Hello everyone. I modified the httpd.conf file and created the .htaccess file like the book said. I also ran the command prompt to install the htaccess for installation...

When I go to the page/directory that I want block the username and password box comes up like it is supposed to.

The Problem I am having is that, when I type in the username and password it says it is incorrect. But it isn't because I typed it in as john doe like the book says. I don't understand what the problem is. Did anyone go through this problem as well? Or know what the problem is? Thank You

-TheDudeTux
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Authorized User

**UPDATE** I fixed it... If anyone runs into the problem I was having check out this link... I found it on this forum someone had the same problems...

http://sniptools.com/tutorials/windo...authentication

** Be careful on step 4 as you will see the screen shot with this

AllowOverride All
Options None
Order deny, allow
------------------------------------------------------
I made those changes to match the screen shot but it messed it up and became the *new reason why I wasn't being able to log in with user name and password. However you might need it depending what version you are using. But I suggest if its not already their then don't add it like I did.

That being said the rest of tutorial was good! The way you set the password in DOS was very useful and was the main problem I was having I believe.

So if you are having problems logging in with user name and password and you know you are using the right user name and password. Go to step 5 right away and give it a try. You also might want to go to the Apache Bin folder and delete the "userauth" file that it made if you were using the book when you were in DOS making the password john doe. Because with this tutorial from the link you will now be making a passwd.txt file. Just a caution step just in case it may cause a conflict (between the userauth file and passwd.txt file. *Make sure to restart your apache server if you have it on when you are making these changes.

-TheDudeTux