Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning PHP5, Apache, and MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-7966-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning PHP5, Apache, and MySQL Web Development by Elizabeth Naramore, Jason Gerner, Yann Le Scouarnec, Jeremy Stolz, Michael K. Glass; ISBN: 9780764579660
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning PHP5, Apache, and MySQL Web Development ISBN: 978-0-7645-7966-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Default chapter07 problems

Hi,
I'm fairly new to learning PHP, but have been working through the book successfully until now. For 3 days now I've been stuck on chapter 7 picture enhancements. I haven't been able to embed the text onto the photo, or put in a watermark, nor generate a thumbnail directory. I've tried several things, including deleting all the files I made and starting over, rebooting the computer, copying the code from the book right into my editor (changing path directories), I copied the arial.ttf font into my htdocs directory (I'm using an iMac with MAMP installed), I checked to make sure the (GD?) settings were turned on and working. The only successful thing I've done so far is turn the image B/W.

I just don't know now if it's an iMac issue (I'm new to the mac), or ...? Any help, advice, solutions would be wonderful. What information would you need to help me sort out this problem?

Thank you!

PS. I've also read through all messages in this forum relating to chapter 7 and images...
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Default ps to above problem

I hope this makes sense:
When I upload the image via upload_image.htm, the image uploads and the available checkboxes appear. Checking on B/W and hitting preview gives me a B/W preview of the image and I am on 'modifyimage.php', but checking 'Embed caption' does not give me an embedded caption, neither does the 'watermark' checkbox give me a watermark preview, although I am directed to 'modifyimage.php'.
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Figured out 2 of the problems:
1. Unable to generate an embedded title on my images--thought I had copied the font file into my server directory, but I hadn't. Once I did that, it worked.

2. Generating thumbnails--Didn't realise I had to upload new images for a thumbnail to be generated from it, and was trying to just upload the gallery.php file to the browser. Once I started at Upload_Images.htm then went to gallery.php, those new images I had uploaded were available as thumbnails, though the previously uploaded images aren't available as images, hmmm, how to work that one out?

Am still having trouble creating a watermark image on top of the image itself...any help?