Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 2005 > BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2005
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2005
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual C# 2005 by Karli Watson, Christian Nagel, Jacob Hammer Pedersen, Jon D. Reid, Morgan Skinner, Eric White; ISBN: 9780764578472
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Visual C# 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM

Default Debug Mode vs Release Mode

There is an exercise in Chapter 7 detailing the differences between the operation of the Debug.WriteLine and Trace.WriteLine functionality in Debug and Release mode. The exercise states to choose the release mode option from the standard toolbar, but it appears as though this option is grayed out in my version of Visual C# 2005 Express. I have perused all the project settings options and could not find anything that would change this. Is this a piece of functionality that is not available in the Express edition and can only be used in the full blown version of Visual Studio 2005? Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old March 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Since there doesn't seem to be much activity in terms of addressing questions in this forum (but there does appear to be a number of people who have read the topic), I figured I would detail my findings from another forum board concerning this topic. Apparently, Visual C# 2005 Express Edition does not have an explicit setting for debug vs. release mode as the standard version of Visual Studio 2005 does. Therefore, the ability to run in debug vs. release mode is difficult at best. Express Edition creates both a release and debug version in the bin directory of the project, but I am not sure how to access these executable within the IDE so that you can see the behavior demonstrated in the aforementioned example. Bottom line is that I moved forward from this exercise understanding in theory at least how things are meant to operate. I hope this helps someone else who may run into this same problem.

Old March 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Amendment to my last post ... I found through another response on the msdn forums that there is a way to enable debug and relase mode builds inside the IDE. If I remember correctly, select Tools->Options ... from the menu. In the dialog box that opens, make sure that Show All Settings box is checked in the lower left hand corner. After doing so, click on the Projects and Solutions node and make sure that the Show Advanced Build Configurations is selected. Both the debug and release mode options will be available in the drop down box referenced in the book example.

Old July 18th, 2006, 04:00 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for the tip FloridaAviator. I experienced a similar problem and u r tip fixed it. Also wondering if you have any tip for Breakpoint window. I am not getting options for specifying conditions in break point. I presume this option doesnt get shipped withthe xpress edition or there should be any tweak in the settings as u suggested with the previous one. Any help would beappreciated.

Old August 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Authorized User

The Express Edition also doesn't have class diagram, with which we can difine classes and their members.

It seems that we can't expect the Express Edition to do everything the Standard Edition do. After all we got it for free.