Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Professional SharePoint 2007 Development ISBN: 978-0-470-11756-9
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Professional SharePoint 2007 Development by John Holliday, John Alexander, Jeff Julian, Eli Robillard, Brendon Schwartz, Matt Ranlett, J. Dan Attis, Adam Buenz, Tom Rizzo; ISBN: 9780470117569
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Professional SharePoint 2007 Development ISBN: 978-0-470-11756-9 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Default Creating a Custom Site Definition

Hi,

I followed the instructions in chapter 4 to create a custom site definition. After I finished I'm getting "File Not Found" in the Sharepoint Central Administration v.3. Although my front end website works fine. I created a copy of each file modified in this excercise and since I deleted my new definition and reverted back to my backup files. That did not help. I even reinstalled version 3. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Thanks.
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I may be having the same issue you are. I created the custom site definition from the instructions in chapter 4. The site is created, but when I try to view it I get the following error.

The resource cannot be found

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /personal/tysonm/dev/default.aspx

Obviously my default.aspx for the custom site is not where its supposed to be. Is this file supposed to be copied to a folder like the core.js and core.css files or is a copy put into the DB when the site is partitioned?
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I got the same generic "File Not Found" error message as well.

If I create a new Site Defn with a default site, its OK. I deleted my work and re-created everything to no avail. I don's suppose their is a SharePoint LOG somewhere that would provide more detailed info than the File not found message.
In my [wss]\TEMPLATES\Site Templates\MySiteDefinition folder I have:

bin folder
obj folder
Properties folder
xml folder WITH ONET.XML in there
core.css
core.js
default.aspx
MySiteDefinition.csproj
MySiteDefinition.master
MySiteDefinition.sln
MySiteDefinition.suo
WEBTEMPMySiteDefinition.xml

Old October 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM

For what it is worth. I copied the book's solution to my set of folders, re-built, and tried again to create a new site from this Site Definition and I still get the File Not Found error.

Old March 26th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Has anyone resolved this issue?

Old June 12th, 2008, 02:27 PM

I am having the same issue. I came to the site and downloaded the code until I read and realized that others even had the problem with the code from the book. It doesn't really inspire confidence in the book I will tell you that much.

Old August 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to jherschel Send a message via MSN to jherschel

I have the same issue. Has anybody found a resolution to this? Is Wrox monitoring these forums?

Thanks
Jonathan Herschel

Old August 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,803, Level: 59 Points: 18,803, Level: 59 Points: 18,803, Level: 59
Activity: 80%
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Jonathan and others: Sorry we haven't gotten an answer for this specific question. If you'll look through the other topics in the forum, you'll see that the authors have done a pretty good job answering most, but I'm sure that's no consolation when the question you need answered isn't. I can't make any promises but I know at least one of the authors is trying to get you an answer for this.

Jim Minatel
Acquisitions Director
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press

Last edited by jminatel; May 18th, 2016 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: deleted dead link
The Following User Says Thank You to jminatel For This Useful Post:
cdoherty (December 10th, 2008)
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Folks,

I apologize for the delay in replying. In reference to the File Not Found error:

Is it possible that those of you that are having this issue have created the project in the wrong place. What may have happened is that the webtemp file IS being deployed correctly via the post build script, which allows you to "see" your site definition as an option on the create page, but the actual default.aspx, master page and onet.xml may not be in the right place. They need to be in a folder with a name that matches exactly the "Name" attribute in your webtemp file that is placed in the [WSS]\TEMPLATE\SiteTemplates folder.

If this is not the case, please post the content of your webtemp files as well as the folder structure of your project.

Thanks,

Dan

Old December 8th, 2008, 04:29 AM

Hello

Thank you to all for discuss with this subject. It is important subject.