Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 2005 > C# 2005
|
C# 2005 For discussion of Visual C# 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the C# 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
Authorized User

Default Missing options in choose data source dialog box

Hi everyone,

I really need help to a very aggravating problem. I am trying to connect to data source in VC# express. I know that there are supposed to be five options when you do this in the choose data dialog box. However, I am only able to see two options when I go to make the connection string. The two options that I am getting is to connect to an Access database file and a SQL Server database file. I know I should be able to connect to an ODBC database, an Oracle database, and the SQL database directly. I am really wanting to connect to the SQL server database directly. I have SQL Express loaded with the Management Studio express. I also made sure that IIS is running. What could I possibly be doing wrong? Please somebody help me.

Thanks,
Chris

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Authorized User

Hi everyone,

Well I have figured out the problem. Some good news and bad news. Bad news is that C# express only supports those two options in the choose data source dialog box. So the only way to see these options is to have either the standard or professional edition installed. However there is some light at the end of this tunnel. You can directly write the connection into the SqlConnection object in the properties pane which will connect to the SQL Server database and not just the file. Also I think that when you are working with the .mdf you cannot do UPDATE commands against it. I believe this file is read only.