Wrox Programmer Forums
|
Pro VB 6 For advanced Visual Basic coders working in version 6 (not .NET). Beginning-level questions will be redirected to other forums, including Beginning VB 6.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Pro VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 20th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Authorized User

Default Not Responding

I've developed a few VB6 apps that do things like read write sql server 2000, ole into photoshop 6 and use the file system object to work on files/directories on windows 2000 pro... Every time I run any of these apps, they get marked as "Not Responding" in task manager but I'm pretty sure it's not due to crashing because they go back to "Running" after they either successfuly complete their task or hit a break point if i'm running in debug mode. The cpu also stays at a low 1 or 2%, doesn't go to 100% like it often will when an app crashes. I've put DoEvents calls in my code to try and counter this and would like to know: do i need more DoEvents calls or is the solution too this problem something else alltogether?

Old October 20th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Friend of Wrox

My initial thought would be to add more DoEvents. I would check the SQL Server and PhotoShop to see if they are slow. Not responding means that the task manager tried to contact the program and did not receive a timely response. A program that is in a long and constant loop will not respond in a timely fashion. Similarly a program waiting for another program will also appear to be hanging. If neither of these is the case. Look to see if there is stretch of code where your program would be busy for long periods and unable to respond to the task manager.

Yehuda

Old October 20th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Authorized User

thanks, i'm more comfortable with what's happening now

Old October 20th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to gbianchi

hi there...

more do event prob. will do nothing..

if we can see a sniplet of you code, i think that you prob. has a lot of syncronic proccess that has no att. of VB until they finish...

if that is the problem, then you has nothing else to do...

Gonzalo Bianchi

Old October 20th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Authorized User

ok, that clears things up, my vb apps do depend on other processes a lot

Old December 6th, 2004, 06:08 PM

If CPU usage is at or about 100% and if the status of a program is "Not Responding"... then is it safe to say that the program crashed?

Old December 7th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to gbianchi

not for sure. your process could be waiting for input or procesing in memory a lot without responding to win messages...
also when you open the task manager usually the cpu usage is around 100%...

HTH

Gonzalo