Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 22nd, 2004, 03:39 PM
Friend of Wrox

Default DB backup Job fails within a second or two

Hi All,

The DB backup that are scheduled to run once, every day, failed suddenly, leaving this error in its JOB HISTORY, within a second or 2 after the jobs starts. No where else I could get some clue on this (event log, ERRORLOG, backup log).

“Cannot load the DLL F:\MSSQL7\LOG\ERRORLOG, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.). [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 0). The step failed.

I have no clue about why this happens. Checked for ERRORLOG as it shows above, and it exists in the path mentioned. Also this has not created any backup log from where we could find why it failed. Till its last successful completion(that's yesterday) I could see the backup logs created.

Can someone shed some light on this as this has happened in our production server for the first time. I am too looking for some clue on this over the net.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

- Vijay G
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:45 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to jemacc

Check your systems event viewer for application errors. Also you can access the errorlog file directly using any text editor. This may show some information

Old September 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Friend of Wrox

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention about that, Event viewer has no clue about this. Also Errorlog was too big as 800+ mb, I extracted only the entries for that day from the error log and could see just this entry there
Login succeeded for user ‘DOMAIN\USER’. Connection: Trusted.
around that time when the job was scheduled. Though the DBA guys suggested to execute sp_cycle_errorlog so that it gets recycled and would be easy to troubleshoot, but other than the LOGON entries, I don't find anythingelse in the ERRORLOG.

Cheers!

Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to jemacc

using the Event Viewer can help, really help in situations like this. Any Job or event can be written to the server logs. This way any failure or success can be recorded. What I do is send all my event to the serverlogs then parse the information and save it to a database for review. I know this does not help you right now but in the future it will save you a lot of time. If you like I can send you the structure scripts to create the backend database and the front end application to read it.
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via AIM to Anantsharma Send a message via Yahoo to Anantsharma

Have u tried to reregister the DLL file its asking for. Try to reregister the DLL using Regsvr32.exe. If still problem, u can try to Copy the DLL from Another Instance id SQL Server (running fine) and try to register.

I feel someone have played with your System registry and may be ur DLL file got courrupted..

Hope this helps

B. Anant
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Friend of Wrox

Anant,

If you could tell me what DLL you it would be, as it says nothing more about the DLL other than "Cannot load DLL" as mentioned in my original post. No clue other than that about the DLL it refers there. May be someone played around with it.

Everything else is working fine other that the Maintenance job. I tried to create a fresh mainenance job that does backup a database of very less size. But that too failed resulting the same error. Have planned for bouncing the SQL server this weekend. Let me post what I observe during then, as this is the first time I had come aross such clueless error, though this job is configured to output its status to a file on completion, and write to the event log, neither the output file created nor the event log has anything about this.

Really Wierd!

So for the time being I am running my own procedure that would backup all Databases and transaction logs on a daily basis as a fix to this until this is resolved. Hope to put an end to this by this weekend.

Will update you all guys.

Wondering if Jeff is hiding somewhere there or in sleep mode now a days. He could be someone to rock this out.;)

Cheers!

Old October 16th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Friend of Wrox

Hi All,

This has been fixed and works fine now. There was a silly mistake done. Someone had changed the code of the system procedure xp_sqlmaint, that resides in the master db. It should contain just "xpstar.dll" as its code, instead it was containing "F:\MSSQL7\LOG\ERRORLOG", which was the reason for such error and failure of the maintenance jobs. Once the code was changed back to the xpstar.dll, it worked fine. Though it was very stupid to change code of a system procedure, and I was even more than that, searching the net for any help on that error, which was nowhere logged, as no one would come across such silly problems.

So this case is closed now happily.:)

Cheers!