Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
|
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:59 PM

Default Can't Modify or Delete table

Hi guys, well all of a sudden SQL Server decided that it would not let me modify or even delete a table. It's not a permissions problem because I am the administrator. I can view the data just fine, but when I try to change the data in the linked table through Access, it gives me a Server timeout error. When I try to do it through Enterprise Manager, it just immediately freezes Enterprise Manager. It will also not allow me to change any of the table's properties, though I can view these just fine as well. Just out of curiosity, I created a table in the same database that is completely identical to the problem table and copied all the data over to it, and this new table works perfectly fine. Any ideas?

Old December 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM

Ok it turns out the problem is even worse. I figured just as a temporary fix, I would use that new table I created that is identical to the original table and just change any views that query the original table to query the new table instead. It worked fine for the first view, but when I tried to update the second one, the same thing happened and Enterprise Manager froze. Sigh...

Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:44 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via AIM to Anantsharma Send a message via Yahoo to Anantsharma

Hi,

Very first check if ur Transaction log is free or not. If not Truncate the Log using backup or other ways.

Otherwise it seems ur tables are inside an incomplete transaction. Check out from Enterprise manager Management -->> Current Activity utility an dfigure out if any Deadlock like thing sits tehre. U can release it write away. If users are not connecetd, u can kill their process from here irself. If this doesn't work, U must restart SQL Services. It will release all the resources and locks and transaction.

Hope this helps.

B. Anant

Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:41 AM

That's exactly what it was!! Thanks for the help. I found the screwed up process and killed it and everything is ok now!