Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > SQL Server > SQL Server 2000 > SQL Server 2000
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
SQL Server 2000 General discussion of Microsoft SQL Server -- for topics that don't fit in one of the more specific SQL Server forums. version 2000 only. There's a new forum for SQL Server 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the SQL Server 2000 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 6th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Authorized User

Default Cannot modify data in table residing on SQL Serv

I opened Access went to Access Database wizards....then went to Project (Existing DB)....then the Data Link Properties choose the correct server and DB on server. The ADP opens up fine but when I try to update or add a new record it does not allow me. Any ideas?

THank you :D

slypunk

Old June 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Friend of Wrox

What error do you get when you say "...it does not allow me"?

Are you sure that you have appropriate account access to the Server and the database you are trying to connect to?

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com

Old June 6th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Authorized User

The new record button and delete button are disabled. I cannot add or delete a record in the table.

slypunk

Old June 6th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

Are you sure that the account you are using to connect to SQL Server has INSERT and DELETE permission for the database and/or table you are attemtping to modify?

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com

Old June 6th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Authorized User

My main purpose is for Access to be the front end and SQL Server the back end. When I create a form, it creates it perfectly fine, but I cannot add or delete records. Since I do know the source for these forms are the tables that is also not allowing me to modify. The account is working fine I checked I am hoping it is maybe a bug? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I hope I make sense what I am explaining. Thank you :)

slypunk

Old June 6th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Friend of Wrox

I doubt seriously that it's a bug.

Almost assuredly the account you used to establish the connection to SQL Server does not have the appropriate (SQL Server) permissions for the operations you require.

The account can't be "...working fine..." if you can't gain access to the tables...

Jeff Mason
Custom Apps, Inc.
www.custom-apps.com

Old June 6th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Authorized User

Where can I check what type of permissions I have in SQL Server?

slypunk

Old June 6th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Friend of Wrox

Sly, can you see/modify your tables if you attack directly from EM using the same login data that you are using in Access?

Old June 6th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Authorized User

Yes I could. As a matter of fact one of the tables do not have any records in it and when I try to add a new record from Access it does not but when I go to EM it does.

slypunk

Old June 6th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Friend of Wrox

What happens if you create a new form to enter data directly into the table, ie avoiding sub forms and all other Access 'features'?