Wrox Programmer Forums
Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C++ and Visual C++ > Visual C++ 2005
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Visual C++ 2005 For discussion of Visual C++ 2005.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Visual C++ 2005 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 29th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Default VC 2005 Standard vs Professional - > need advice

I really need the communities advice here...

I have been attempting to learn VC++ for a bit now, and started on the path with the software I had (VC 6). After getting well into it, it was brought to my attention that I might want to upgrade to VC 2005 as VC6 standard was quite old. I was pointed to the *free* version of VC 2005 express, but have now ran into a road block that what I am trying to learn (MFC windows programming) is not available in VC 2005.

So I am looking at making a purchase, but as a beginner, working with and writing (programs beginngers write) do you think the standard is going to supply all I need for now? Is the professional supplying peices that I can do without, or am I going to run into another dead end?

I see on MSDN the graphical break down of (express, standard, professional) but allot of these things that are listed are foreign to me as I haven't come across them yet.

Please advice...

Old July 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM

I am not sure if you have found your answer yet. But this is what I did.
Go to this site http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/trial/ then select the option to use the 90 day trial. I had a few memebers in my family get the 90 day trial so as to not infringe on any laws. I use the keys provided on the shipped DVD to activate the product for that period of time. Then do it again with the next key. It's a few dollars for the DVD so get a few of them it's worth it. Hope this helps you. :) If I posted something here that is not supposed to be here I'm sorry this is my first post on this forum. P.S. It does take about a month to receive your DVD and Key.

Old August 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via Yahoo to anubisascends

I have been doing basic for a little over a year now (I am currently trying to learn C++) and I purchased Visual Studio 2005 Pro, it is a great program, but for the beginner it is far more than can be neccessary. You should be able to get the Standard edition to do what you want, if you are unsure, here is a link to the product differences.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/pr...e/default.aspx

Hope this helps.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:00 AM

Drew's message was genius.

If you and a few people you were close to got the 90 day trial of professional ... by the time you would have to pay for it you would know how to run it and you would be able to decide whether to buy pro or buy standard.

Genius. That's what I'm gonna do. In 9 months or a year I'll know how to program with pro and I can decide whether to buy pro or get the standard edition.

Rogue Tomato