Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > .NET > .NET 1.0 and Visual Studio.NET > VS.NET 2002/2003
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
VS.NET 2002/2003 Discussions about the Visual Studio.NET programming environment, the 2002 (1.0) and 2003 (1.1). ** Please don't post code questions here ** For issues specific to a particular language in .NET, please see the other forum categories.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the VS.NET 2002/2003 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old January 7th, 2005, 09:28 PM

I have SP2 installed with XP PRO

Old January 8th, 2005, 05:04 AM

I my self had the same problem with the jit debugger
Best way I found to fix this is to shut down the Dell support in your start up. I done this and it has not returned since.
Hope this help you :D

you can find your problem here
Registry: HKLM:RUN DwlClient C:\program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe

Thx
Hexa
Old January 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM

help me please i have a program called simpe and it needs .net framework i have that but it has an error and sasy that i need a JIT debugger. were kan i get them?
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Authorized User

I'm having the same problem as well. We are on XP SP2. I'm really not sure what's missing.

Renee C. Walker
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via Yahoo to deniscuba

This message indicates that an attempt to do Just-In-Time debugging failed because the user does not have proper access permissions. The error message includes the name of the user who lacks the necessary permissions.

To solve this problem, add the user to the Debugger Users group. (See Adding Debugger Users and Configuring DCOM.)

Caution Adding users to the Debugger Users group may create a security risk by allowing those users to access the machine. You should add only those users that need debugger access on that particular machine. Do not add Everyone to the Debugger Users group.
The user account you add to Debugger Users can be:

The user who is logged onto the machine. In this case, the user must log off and log back on for the new permissions to take effect.
The ASPNET account. In this case, you need to restart the ASPNET service after adding the account to Debugger Users.
An account running a service. In this case, you need to restart the service after adding the account to Debugger Users.
Other built-in accounts, such as Local Service or Network Service. In this case, you must restart the machine after adding the account to Debugger Users.
JIT Debugging failed with the following error: 0x800405a6
This error occurs if you attempt to do Just-In-Time debugging on a machine where there is no user logged onto the console. As a result, there is no session in which to display the Just-In-Time debugging dialog box.

To fix this problem, log onto the machine.

JIT Debugging failed with the following error: 0x000400bd
This error occurs if the debugger is not registered to handle the Just-In-Time debugging request.

To fix this problem, use the setup disk to reinstall or repair Visual Studio .NET installation.

JIT Debugging failed with the following error: 0x80040003
This error occurs if you attempt to use Visual Studio 6 as the Just-In-Time debugging debugger for the desktop process (usually explorer.exe). Visual Studio 6 does not support debugging of the desktop process.

To fix this problem, use Visual Studio .NET to debug the desktop process.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to artmediadesign

Hi people,
JIT Debugging failed...
I too have a Dell desktop Dimension computer, and while installing my XP Home Edition updates I get the same error, I did follow HEXA suggestions and it work for the rest of the updates, but not for the .NET framework update... The error remains, I did turn the up-date off, however I am afraid of being exposed to new stuff out there
Why don't you call support? Well I have, but I get a person that I cannot understand, "very strong accent from east India" so I never get anywhere. I need help...anyone?:)
Thank you HEXA.

Francis
Ft.Lauderdale
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:46 PM

It would appear that the reason this occurs is two-fold.

1) The .NET Application has an error where it is deployed (obviously)

2) It cannot find cordbg.exe in order to do JIT debugging.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: The debugger message can be fixed by getting cordbg.exe installed onto the system -- and this is done by installing the "Microsoft .NET SDK", which is a separate installation from the .NET framework.

Once you install .NET SDK, cordbg.exe can be found -- and debugging will proceed as it is supposed to.

The .NET SDK installer can be downloaded from this URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

This fixed my problem. I hope it helps others too!

-- Paul

NOTE: This will only fix the issue with JIT Debugging not working -- and will obviously not fix the run-time error that caused the need for debugging in the first place!

Old February 25th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Oh, and one more thing -- after installing the SDK -- sometimes the path to the debugger is (for some odd reason) not added to the PATH environment variable. This can be done manualy by:

* Right Clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties

* Clicking on the "Advanced" tab

* Clicking on the Environment Variables button

* In the second (lower) pane of the new window, scroll down (if necessary) and select the "Path" variable and highlight it. Then click on the Edit button.

* In the second field ("Variable Value") -- you will need to scroll all the way to the end and put a semi-colon before putting the path to the cordbg.exe file.

* This path is usually (by default):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v1.1\Bin
* Click on OK, then click on OK again, then click on OK yet again

* (No need to reboot -- the path is now set -- and cordbg.exe can be found)

* Now that it can be found, run the offending application again

* When the error pops up -- click on the Cancel button to show JIT debugging

* Once cancel is clicked -- voila! -- you will no longer receive the error -- and instead a DOS Window will open that shows specific info on what exceptions are causing the error.

Again, I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions! :)

-- Paul

Old March 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM

In reference to all the questions about the error message I just got off the phone with Dell and I found out that the message pretty much means that you have or had spyware on your computer and like me you may have downloaded a free spyware removal program i.e. spybot etc... well this free program does not remove 100% of the lame spy agents out there and its not supported by a tech staff or anything. I have a number to SunBelt 888-688-8457. The Dell rep recommended this because of course Dell backs this company. It's going to cost to have the software but the advantage is you get software support for it and monthy updates which is a big plus in my eyes. The error message is driving me crazy and at this point it will be well worth it. Hope this helps you all and take care. By the way I too have a Dell inspiron so I feel your grief. Chow!

Old March 31st, 2005, 02:21 AM

After about a week's worth of research and attempted fixes and tweeks, I found that all I needed to do is uninstall the Dell Support program. Go to Control Panel, Add/Install Programs and remove the Dell Support program. I have visited dozens of websites, tried all of the "so-called" fixes that I thought I had found and nothing worked. I have tweeked, installed, uninstalled, reconfigured numerous programs and configurations on my computer. I, too, have a Dell and until I read all of the messages posted on this website, the link to the Dell Support did not click in my mind. I hope this works for all of you! My pc seems to be fine now.

Good Luck!