Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 1st, 2006, 03:13 PM
Authorized User

jminatel how could a vb version not live up to the so called standard for c# that's a ridiculous statement! There is nothing different between the two that would stand out in this website. I agree that there is a perception for vb programmers arn't as "senior" as c# programmers. I use vb because i hate case sensitivity. I, like 98% of programmers spell like cr@# now i have to worry about case. No wonder i went from C++ to vb.net as a "Senior" programmer myself i garuntee you that you ask most people who claim to be c# programmers are just as dumb as the people who claim to be vb programmers. Trust me i know, i've interviewed many who claim to be senior c# programmers who don't even know what a delegate is. I already have a vb.net framework based on the previous version of thephile with all the .net 2 goodies, integrating the new atlas framework and ajax all in vb and kicks butt over marcos c# version in this latest book. Marco is a great programmer and all props i love his book too, it's the most solid book for a medium level developer to understand OO programming for asp.net.

Old June 1st, 2006, 09:22 PM
Friend of Wrox

>jminatel how could a vb version not live up to the so called standard for c#

He was saying that many corporations have standardized on using C#. That's called a corporate standard. That's what companies do to reduce the number of languages and platforms they have to support. Some companies standardize on using linux, some pick Windows. Some pick Java, others pick COBOL. None of this means that one is better than the other.
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Hello - count me in in the VB crowd; when a VB version of the code for this book comes out, I'll gladly buy it.

I'm trying to cross over to ASP.NET from MS Access, and my learning curve is vertical! I'd like to make SOME use of what I know from VB for Applications; anything would be better than starting completely over trying to learn C.

Thanks

Mark

Old June 5th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Friend of Wrox

I recommend that you get a beginning book on VB.NET, or ASP.NET using VB.NET. You may feel like you don't need a beginning book, but it's important for you to learn the basics and to understand the OOP aspects. If you know VBA you can move quicker than a total newbie, but you should start at the beginning to make sure you don't shortchange yourself.

There's some good choices here:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-105065.html

And other publishers have some, too. Make sure you get one for VB.NET 2005.

By the way, your language choice should be driven by your career goals, and not just personal preference. You need to have the kind of resume that will get you the jobs you'd like to have (look at ComputerJobs.com or similar job sites to see what kinds of jobs are available for each language). Some C# coders personally prefer VB, but they use C# in order to get more advanced jobs. Of course VB isn't less capable in any way, but the job market doesn't care about which is best, and why. Companies use a specific language and they select applicants who are familiar with that language.

Eric
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Friend of Wrox

I just found this book by Wrox: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results. This looks like a good book for VB.NET users, but it's not an intro book. This is at about the same level as ASP.NET Website Programming.

http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...471749516.html
Old June 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I do think that's an excellent book too, if the editor may chime in with an opinion. For any of you who have met Imar in these forums and seen all the questions he answers and help he provides, he's the author of about half of that book. If you like Imar's answers here, you're sure to like the book.

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old June 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Authorized User
Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6 Points: 333, Level: 6
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lets not have a C# vs VB war hehe. I like both languages. I do have to give the props to C++ though which is where I came from. First language I learned in the Dos days along with Assembly. Both C# and VB are good. I prefer C# cause of my C++ background but I know VB also because alot of you one standard guys will find out that many companies like 1 language and not every company will like your language so you have to be flexible. Besides, not that hard to learn both. Same structure type, different syntax. C# if statements encapsulate the code for the if and else in curly braces, VB ends the if with an "end if" ot "end else". Not much difference just one is symbolic and the other is literal.

Just wanted to drop a statement before one group jumps on the next. :)

Old June 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM

I'm way interested to see the VB translation for this book. It's a great topic and one of the first books I've found that discusses best practices with clear examples with asp.net 2.0.

How is the translation coming along?

Thanks,
John
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Authorized User

The translation is almost complete. I probably have one week left, plus a few days to tackle any remaining bugs. The code is fast and runs great; a testament to the great work that Marco did.:D

Old June 30th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Outstanding book. We're a VB shop anxiously looking forward to the release of the VB version.