Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 13th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to lewgrant

Hello everyone,

C# or VB, which I prefer I won't say as it makes little difference since my project is VB like it or not. I just got this book in the mail to help me with my project and was surprised to find it was C# only. I really wish I had noticed it was C# only before buying it.

Many thanks to MythicalMe for the VB code, I will be looking thru it. I'm afraid though that what I really need is a VB version of this book. Can anyone recommend a book of simular style (front to back casestudy/project) for ASP.NET 2.0 VB either from WROX or elsewhere?

Cheers,
Lew Grant

Old July 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Authorized User

I have a growing collection of ASP.Net 2.0 books im library that is growing and this is the only book that I have seen like it. Using the book and the present VB code should give you an idea of the material presented. The design code that is presented, while in C#, is really mininal as the book is really about ASP.Net. There are two chapters 4 and 5 that the dependancy upon C# is really apparent. If you compare my code against the C# code, you shouldn't have any problems.

BTW... version 1 of this book was written in C# also. Though I fully understand your dilemma (as a VB programmer myself), it seems that most books published today for ASP.Net are written for C# programmers.

Old July 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Authorized User

Hello,

The source code in VB.NET is now already out with great efforts by MythicalMe.

Are there any plans by WROX, to come out with a VB.NET edition as soon as possible.

I dont think there should be any problem since the typed matter and code both are ready at wrox.

Lets hope WROX caters the mass VB audience, before its too late. They can also include AJAX( ATLAS ) based codes if they wish.

The database scenerio is also going to change a lot with LINQ and DLINQ. The book will serve no purpose if the latest technology is out in ORCAS.

SoftMind

Old July 14th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SoftMind: I still don't see the need to publish a VB version. I think I mentioned this elsewhere in this thread or another, one factor that really plays against us is the major US retailers have a tendency not to stock and sell both versions when we do something like this. I've realy seen it happen on two dual edition books like this on ASP.NET 2.0, including one from a competitor, so even if there is equal or greater demand for a VB version, sales will be lower because retailers won't stock it in enough stores.
Additionally, so far in the 10 days we've had the VB code up, we've had a total of 20 downloads (that incldues 2 test downloads from me to make sure they worked). Yes, it's a little harder ti find the code, and no, since there isn't a VB version of the book why would a VB reader have bought it in the first place but it doesn't give proof to an overwhelming need for a VB book.
And finally, probably most importantly, so little of this book is really about the language. It's about the overall structure, the framework, the decisions that go into making the site and making it good. That's the value and I think that's a huge part of why this book is a best-seller. All of that is the same in either language.

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!