Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:02 AM
Authorized User

Default VB version of this book is a must

Asp.Net 2.0 Instant results is a great sucess by Wrox, and good efforts by the authors too.

In the past also, there were 2 versions of Wrox Problem design and solutions, which were highly admired.

Professional Asp.Net 2.0 is also in both the codes.

Now wrox has three solid foundations when it comes to Vb and C#.

What is the reason which holds this book from VB.NET codes. There are many Free and advanced C# to VB translators available. The author can easily convert the codes and give side by side or as a seperate downloads, or a different book altogather.

This great book without VB.NET codes will be a great loss for the readers. Wrox must be aware that there are more VB developers than C#.

why give VB version later, when you can give us at a right time now.

Thanks

SoftMind.

Old May 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Friend of Wrox

The author isn't a VB coder, so somebody else has to port the code to VB, or else Marco has to take up VB!

Wrox will watch the sales of the book, and if it turns out to be very popular, they'll possibly hire someone to port it to VB.

That's what they did the first time, by the way. The C# edition was out for several months before the decided to hire someone to port it to VB.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marco and I talked about C# versus VB editions of the book fairly extensively before we started writing. As Eric points out, Marco is a C# coder (and an excellent one at that). We thought at the time, and still do think, it's better just to have the C# version because that's the book he makes very good. Getting someone else to port a VB version for a VB version of the book probably wouldn't live up to the standard Marco set with C#.

That said, if there are any readers who would like to create their own VB version and share it, working either individually or as a group, we'd give you permission to do it as long as you credit Marco and Wrox for the original work. We couldn't support it via our tech support groups but I'd be happy to help you publicize it.

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Authorized User

I too would like to see the code in VB.Net. The first version of the book had a VB version and while I can understand and program in C# my preferred language is VB. I don't think that porting is really much of an issue any longer. VB seems to have all the equivalent C# commands and functions.

Old May 20th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Friend of Wrox

>I don't think that porting is really much of an issue any longer.
>VB seems to have all the equivalent C# commands and functions.

I understand what you're saying here, and although VB has more features and functionality than C#, there are differences in some key areas that make porting non-trivial. There are difference in case sensitivity, delegates, events, and more.

You can get a better idea if you read the html file the original porter wrote when he ported the first edition (it's in the VB code download). You need to be pretty good with VB to port the whole thing.

But maybe an average VB coder could port enough to make it worthwhile. You may not need the more advanced features.

Eric
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Wrox Staff

BTW, I want to correct some misinformation I started. I think I had stated this in another thread or told Eric so this is my mistake, not his. Marco actually does have a ton of VB skills too. For many years, he wrote and handled the content at the old www.vb2themax.com. Could Marco write a VB version? Yes, you bet. But, this is a huge application and right now, he's busy with some other projects that aren't about books. And, I still think that most readers are best served by the C# version. Do I feel bad about leaving out the portion of potential readers who need a VB version? Yes. In this case I have to say that I'm sorry we don't have the book you need. I which I had the resources and authors had the time to write and publish every variation of every book we want to but we do have to make some decisions, choices. Sorry.

Jim Minatel
WROX Press
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Authorized User

A VB port of the code is going to happen. I am now about half way through chapter 5 and translating as I read. Who do I submit it to when I am done?

Incidentally, I don't really understood this "better served by C#". In the past VB has been maligned as some kind of inferior language. As I stated in an earlier post, the differences between C# and VB are now insignificant. Sure the VB language is different, but it now handles the full implementation of OOP now and performance is actually sometimes better using the native language.

Old May 30th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Wrox Staff

MythicalMe: Email me offline at jminatel@wrox.com and I'll make arrangements to get the code when you have it ready. Thanks for doing this and I'll see if we don't have some way to thank you too.
What I'm seeing on the C# versus VB front, is a pretty large shift in book buying patterns. For the first year or 18 months of .NET 1.0, C# didn't account much for book sales and VB continued to sell a lot of books. In the last 12-18 months and especially since 2.0 has released, I've seen a pretty dramatic change with C# not just gaining ground, but actually selling a lot more books that VB and VB selling a lot fewer books than it used to. When I talk with corporate developers I meet, more and more tell me about companies standardizing on C# as their first choice so even experienced VB developers who would prefer to work in VB are doing more of their work in C#.
For whatever the reason, there seem to be more developers willing to buy C# books or who think they to learn C# versus VB. I don't think it's a matter of which language is "better" (that's a religious war I won't get into) but which one is perceived as more profitable to learn to make a living coding.

Jim Minatel
WROX Press
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Authorized User

At the rate I'm progressing, it will be a couple of weeks yet. Marco's work is excellent, so I'm trying to remain as faithful as I can while using some of the new features available in VB also. That's why I'm hand coding instead of using a translator.

Old May 30th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MythicalMe
Incidentally, I don't really understood this "better served by C#". In the past VB has been maligned as some kind of inferior language. As I stated in an earlier post, the differences between C# and VB are now insignificant.
You're right that the perception is wrong, but you're wrong to say the differences are insignificant. In most ways: in selections of keywords, overall features, and ease-of-use, VB comes out ahead. VB clearly has a better compiler - even compiling constantly in the background, and the new refactoring in VB 2005, that Microsoft bought from a third party company just before the final release, is much better than the C# refactoring.

For me it comes down to a career decision, which is largely based on the types of duties I want to perform. In most cases in today's world a person can't try to sell himself as a Senior Software Engineer if his main skills are in VB. Also, most of the advanced articles and books are written to C#. So it makes sense for me to go with C#, even though VB is better in a lot of ways. I don't know this for sure, but this might be part of the reason Marco is going mostly with C# these days.

Eric