Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old June 21st, 2009, 04:19 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi there,

I can't recommend a host, but you may want to take a look here: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...nt-part-1.aspx for some help with GoDaddy.

Your story isn't new; I have seen many others having the same frustrating experience with GoDaddy and their support department. Their SQL tool isn't behaving very well, but Scott Guthrie suggests some work arounds. Search the comments on that article for GoDaddy and look for a reply from Scott. Note: the problem described there dates back to 2007, so you may be running into a new and different problem no, but it's worth a try (if you decide to give GoDaddy another try of course).

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM
Authorized User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMik View Post
Hey CBSpira,
Were you able to set up your site and database successfully on godaddy? Did you have a shared hosting account? Did your database have a PK/FK relationship?
Uh oh - I have not gotten up to the DB portion of the site yet... I did run into some web.config issues I haven't straightened out yet, and that was just for some really basic pages.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but we got the Deluxe hosting package (that supports 2 MS SQL databases). I spoke with their tech support before ordering and they made it sound as though it's just the connection string and a simple upload - were you promised the same thing?

Thanks,
Mrs. CB Spira

Old June 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Default GD Hosting

Yes, I also had the Deluxe hosting package with GD. Again, I hesitate to criticize a host because I am rather new to ASP.NET, but gee whiz, I hammered away at the deployment of my database for days! I'm currently trying out a new host. I'll let you know if the new host's interface is beginner friendly.

Where you able to fully deploy your site and database on GD? I'm very curious about this so please let me know.

Michael

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMik View Post
Where you able to fully deploy your site and database on GD? I'm very curious about this so please let me know.
I still have not deployed the DB portion of the site - although I plan to do a test with one tiny table tomorrow (haven't even touched user logins or anything more complicated). Since you posted you were having problems I figured I'd search out what I'd end up needing to do - did you see this thread:
http://forums.asp.net/p/1366929/2887933.aspx

Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll have more information - and I hope it's good

Old July 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Authorized User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbspira View Post
Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll have more information - and I hope it's good
OK, it's way later than "tomorrow" but I finally ironed out some of the other kinks in my site and got around to deploying everything, including my one lone db table - and it worked!

I have yet to try anything with relationships or roles, etc, but it's a start

The first thing I did was create the database on the host as described here: http://help.godaddy.com/article/36#bounce

Once it was fully created I was able to see the server name and populate the connection string section in web.config appropriately as per:
http://help.godaddy.com/article/689

(It's important to keep a copy of the connection string used in development, otherwise there will be problems when you need to modify pages on your local machine)

My table was still not there (obviously, because I hadn't uploaded it). They (sales/tech support) promised me that all I would have to do was load the .mdf file and voila - all lies

I did look at the link to Scott Guthrie's article that Imar provided - the problem was that all the download links (http://www.codeplex.com/sqlhost) are null and void for some reason - the documentation too!

So I searched and found it at Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I was required to also download SQL Server 2005 Management Object Collection as well as the SQL Server Native Client before I was able to successfully install the SQL Server Database Publishing wizard.

Once it was installed I started VWD 2008 Express, loaded my site, and followed the directions in Scott's article (there are some differences - I went to DB Explorer, not Server Explorer. I made sure to select the SQL Server 2005 script since that's what I version is on godaddy.

GoDaddy does provide the SQL server web admin tool, so I followed the instructions. I opened the script in text editor and copied the entire file. Then I went to the databases tab, selected sql server, then manage via web admin. Once connected I clicked on tools, query analyzer, pasted the copied text into the large box and hit execute. After a minute or so the table was successfully created, and my pages - which previously failed to load because the table was not found - now loaded properly with fully populated data sources.

I don't know if you went through all of that, or if your situation was different because of primary and foreign keys... but I'm glad that at least I was able to get it to work for now...

Old July 10th, 2009, 01:01 AM

Default GD Databases

I was able to deploy my site and one database on GD without any issues. The problems arose when I tried to establish a PK/FK relationship between my primary database and a database that fed a drop down list.

Happy to hear about your success!

All the best,

Michael

Old April 12th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Authorized User

Default Me Too

I came to the end of the book and was kind of amazed to find that it was presumed that we would not only create a site, but also host it. Essentially everyone who reads this book owns a company that has its own Web servers? I would also love to be informed if someone knows a good provider. I've tried two places, and the tech staff has no clue.

Old April 13th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Wrox Author

Hi hvete,

Quote:
Essentially everyone who reads this book owns a company that has its own Web servers?
No, that certainly wasn't the assumption.

Knowing how to setup a site under IIS is useful for many scenarios, including:

1. An Intranet web site, where the site is hosted on your local network
2. On your local machine, for development and testing purposes
3. On a remote host / hosting company that offers (cheap) VDS (virtual dedicated servers) or true dedicated servers.

In other words, the chapter on deployment is useful for many scenarios and is not limited to deplyoing to your own server. In fact, the part on databases mentions remote hosts explicitlty a number of times.

The reason why I haven't gotten into a specific deployment scenario for a remote host is the diversity in services they offer. Some setup everything for you, and all you need to do (can do) is send files through FTP. Others let you confiure your site through an on-line Control Panel such as Plesk. Yet others offer (virtual) dedeiicated servers with complete Remote Desktop access where you can use the stuff you learned in this chapter to set up the site.

If you're looking for a host, take a look here: http://www.asp.net/find-a-hoster/ Once you've chosen a host, you'll need to look in their docs to see what deployment mechanisms they support.

Hope this helps,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
hvete (April 13th, 2010)

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Authorized User

Default providers

That is very helpful. Thanks. And I can imagine the scenarios are very varied, but after Googling "ASP.NET 3.5 provider", the first 10 providers I tried don't support LINQ, so there is some consistency.

I think your book is really great, by the way -- it got me further along by far in Web development than my multiple attempts hitherto. It's clear and well organized. Amazingly, without knowing anybody who knows anything, I built a whole Web site just like I'd imagined it using your book alone... That's really a feat, because I've tried with several texts before with no success. You should pat yourself on the back. However I came to the very end only to discover (after 2 tech supp chats) that I couldn't deploy my site with the provider I'd contracted with.

I thought (right up until the last section of Chapter 18) that when someone said they hosted ASP.NET 3.5, they supported everything you talk about in your book. I thought that WAS ASP.NET 3.5 (silly me). I debugged my site locally, ftp-ed it to my domain, and then got on 24-7 chat tech supp to find out what smtp and connection string I should use in web.config and who I should send the script to to convert SQL Express to SQL Server, and the support guy told me my connection string was 'superhostingSQL' (or something like that), and that they do support cgi scripts... I was welcome to run a script in C# or Java or SQL.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I tried again the next day and got someone who knew enough to tell me they don't support LINQ or foreign keys and they won't run a script for me... I have to buy SQL Server and convert it at home.

So one suggestion I might make is that it would have been helpful for a private individual like me (who has no knowledgeable colleague and who doesn't want to set up a server in the kitchen) if you warned in a section at the beginning what the issues with deployment with a provider were likely to be, so we don't enter into a contract with a provider who can't support our site. You might, for example, make a note at the points in the book where you talk about stuff that providers don't typically support, like LINQ, foreign keys and custom errors.

I spent last night chatting with several providers, and finally think I've found one who might work. If this provider does work out, that one confusion is a small price to pay for finally being a Web developer.

Thanks again!

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Wrox Author

Quote:
the first 10 providers I tried don't support LINQ
I don't get that. Once you support ASP.NET 3.5, LINQ is part of the deal.

Maybe the problem is with SQL Server? Linq to SQL uses SQL Server, so you need a subscription that supports SQL Server as well. You often have to pay more for that, but many of the hosts I know support SQL Server. What they often don't support is SQL Server Express, so you need a subscription with them for a commercial version of SQL Server. Did you look at the hosts listed on the ASP.NET web site?

Quote:
That's really a feat, because I've tried with several texts before with no success. You should pat yourself on the back.
That's really great to hear. Thanks for that feedback!

Quote:
the support guy told me my connection string was 'superhostingSQL' (or something like that), and that they do support cgi scripts... I was welcome to run a script in C# or Java or SQL.
Not sure what they / you mean by that. SQL Express is, as i mentioned in the book, great for local development. However, for deployment you often need the full version of SQL Server, especially with external hosts.

Quote:
who knew enough to tell me they don't support LINQ or foreign keys and they won't run a script for me.
That doesn't make sense at all. Foreign keys are an integral part of a database system, so if they support SQL, they support foreign keys. If the support guy said they didn't, keep looking for another one that does know what he's talking about. And again, LINQ *is* probably supported, but you need a version of SQL Server to run it on.
I run a few sites for some friends with business on a 20 euro account at a local Dutch provider. SQL Sevrer, and .NET 3.5 (including LINQ) is fully supported. I also know parties like Brinkster support this completely, as do many of the hosts from the ASP.NET web site. So, it looks like you just found a crappy host with support guys who don't know what they are talking about... ;-)
Quote:
stuff that providers don't typically support, like LINQ, foreign keys and custom errors.
All hosts I know all support this (again, provided they're offering a commercial version of SQL Server). Custom Errors are a framework feature, so that should be supported as well. I don't see how that's not supported. Can you give an example?

Anyway, here's to hoping this new host works out, and you get your site setup and running. Would be great to see a link to it once it's running....

Cheers,

Imar

The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
hvete (June 9th, 2010)