Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Authorized User

Question asp.net 3.5 on commercial host?

Let me preface this by acknowledging that this may not be the correct forum for my question - if so, please let me know where to take this thread.

My only exposure to asp.net 3.5 is via this book - it was the textbook used for a Web development class I took last semester (and I benefited greatly from the book and the contributions of the author and this forum) - which is why I'm posting here.

I recently accepted an assignment to develop a website that (to me) seemed similar in concept to the Planet Wrox site - so I recommended that a commercial host be located to house the new site. But I don't have the experience in dealing with commercial hosts, and I don't have enough information to make an educated decision so I'm hoping someone here can answer my questions.

1. Does it make sense that a host that supports asp.net 3.5 would not support LINQ due to their security model? (that was the answer a sales guy gave me)

2. Chapter 18 deals with deployment, but focuses mostly on an IIS server that the reader can access. Obviously that will not be the case with a commercial host. I know I'll need to change connection strings for the DB and SMTP settings for email, but I'm a bit apprehensive about site account maintenance - I almost wish I wasn't spoiled by the WSAT! Any suggestions?

3. I used SQL server 2008 express and VWD 2008 Express for the assignments in the book. For compatibility, what should be avoided in searching for a host (for example, some hosts only offer MS SQL 2005, Windows Server 2003, etc)

Again, please let me know if this is the wrong place for these questions.

Very grateful for any input and guidance...
Mrs. CB Spira
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

1) While technically possible, it's not common. Access to SQL Server needs some special permissions so some ISPs block it and make you work with OleDb or ODBC instead. However, many ISPs do allow the use of LINQ to SQL so I'd look for another host (there are many) that supports the features you need without any sales bla bla.

2. Account management is indeed tricky. You have a few options:

a) use existing solutions (both open source and commercial). Can't recommend one as I never found / used a good one.

b) build your own management tools. One of the chapters in my book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results (the BugBase) deals with this

c) Create a brand new web site, configure the services to manage your remote database and then use the local WSAT to manage the remote users. Requires that your host lets you access SQL Server over the Internet (not uncommon).

3. The book used SQL Server 2005 so anything you learned there should work. SQL Server introduced some new data types (Date, Time, datetime2, some spatial data types) and whole lot of other features. Search Google for "SQL Server what's new" to see what's new and therefore to avoid if you want to be 2005 compatible.

Hope this helps,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Authorized User

Smile

Thanks for replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
1) While technically possible, it's not common. Access to SQL Server needs some special permissions so some ISPs block it and make you work with OleDb or ODBC instead. However, many ISPs do allow the use of LINQ to SQL so I'd look for another host (there are many) that supports the features you need without any sales bla bla.
That clears it up somewhat, since the same salesperson reassured me that all I'd need to do to get the DB working is to FTP it and use their DB connect string - didn't say anything about ODBC... I'm thinking he didn't know what he was talking about...

Quote:
2. Account management is indeed tricky. You have a few options:
<snip>
c) Create a brand new web site, configure the services to manage your remote database and then use the local WSAT to manage the remote users. Requires that your host lets you access SQL Server over the Internet (not uncommon).
This idea appeals to me the most since I don't have too much time to get this site up and running AND create management tools. I'll have to re-investigate to see if the hosts allow for remote access to their servers...

Quote:
Hope this helps,
Yes, thank you very much...
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Quote:
That clears it up somewhat, since the same salesperson reassured me that all I'd need to do to get the DB working is to FTP it and use their DB connect string - didn't say anything about ODBC... I'm thinking he didn't know what he was talking about...
Hmmm, that may suggest they are using SQL Server Express and attach the database on the fly? Or is it a "one time op" where they attached the database that you uploaded once?

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
Hmmm, that may suggest they are using SQL Server Express and attach the database on the fly? Or is it a "one time op" where they attached the database that you uploaded once?

Imar
No idea :-)
I searched their KB with the word "linq" and this is what I found:
Quote:
Does your hosting support .net framework 3.5 ?
Yes. All our win2003 servers fully support .net framework 3.5.we

To make use of .NET framework 3.5, go to your hosting control panel > site admin > .net application. You will see your domain list and their select .NET version. To use .net 3.5, please select ".NET 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5" for your domain.

ASP.NET 3.0 runs on the 2.0 version of the Common Language Runtime (CLR) and adds Windows CardSpace, Windows Communication Foundation, Windows Presentation Foundation, and Windows Workflow Foundation. ASP.NET 3.5 runs on the 2.0 version of the CLR and adds support for LINQ (-- emphasis mine) and other new classes. Therefore ASP.NET 2.0, 3.0 & 3.5 run with the same compiler.

If you don't see .NET 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 in your dropdown list, this mean your machine does not have it installed. Please contact helpdesk support to have it installed.
So maybe the sales guy got it wrong about not allowing LINQ? They do advertise SQL Server 2008, not express, and said I'd be able to connect to the database remotely over the internet (as per your suggestion)...

I am getting a bit discouraged since I narrowed it down to 2 contenders and decided to google their reviews - both of them have reviews such as "horrendous" "run for your life" and other such encouraging sentiments... Oh well...
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Wrox Author

I can't recommend much, unfortunately; I don't use remote hosts as the company I work for has its own hosting platforms.

I used Brinkster in the past (and still have something to do with them every now and then as a friend of mine uses it) and they they seem OK. No real first-hand experience though....

Imar

The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
hvete (June 9th, 2010)
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Authorized User

Smile

Thanks for the reply - sorry it took so long to reply back :-)

Quote:
I can't recommend much, unfortunately; I don't use remote hosts as the company I work for has its own hosting platforms.
Yeah, that was my problem - I was used to using internal corp servers

Quote:
I used Brinkster in the past (and still have something to do with them every now and then as a friend of mine uses it) and they they seem OK. No real first-hand experience though....
I was using Brinkster as my free host - the paid hosting may have worked, but the price was 3x the other "discount" hosts, and my client sees no reason to pay so much when there are so many others out there (even though they have all the negative reviews...) So we ended up with godaddy (who's providing the domain name) and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for providing guidance in this matter...
Mrs. CB Spira
Old June 7th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Wrox Author

Good luck.... ;-)

Imar

Old June 20th, 2009, 01:27 AM

Hey CBSpira,

I am curious about your experiences with godaddy. I decided to give godaddy a try for my first dynamic site. My site is a very simple site with two simple database tables, with one Primay Key/Foregin Key relationship. I built the site and tested it locally using my localhost and it worked well.

I uploaded my site to godaddy and I expected to be able to upload my database as well, but apparently with shared hosting I have to build the tables and PK/FK relationships on an application provided by a third party for godaddy. This application provided by the third party seems a bit un-intuitive. (I hesitate to criticize by because I am a newbee) I've been struggling with re-building this database on godaddy so that my site works remotely as well as it does locally for 4 days and I'm looking for advice.

Were you able to set up your site and database successfully on godaddy? Did you have a shared hosting account? Did your database have a PK/FK relationship?

Thanks,

Michael
Old June 21st, 2009, 02:21 AM

Default Gave Up Building a Database on GoDaddy

As stated in my earlier post, I created a website with a database consisting of two simple tables and one PK/FK relationship. The site worked well locally so I decided it was time to go live. Motivated by price, I chose GoDaddy. I uploaded my site successfully, however GD would not allow me to upload my databases. GD requires database tables and structures be re-built with software provided by a third party. After 5 days of trial and error, googling and multiple calls to tech support, I give up.

Can anyone recommend a host?

MP