Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Authorized User

Default provider

Wow! Thanks for the quick response.

Quote:
the support guy told me my connection string was 'superhostingSQL' (or something like that).

> Not sure what they / you mean by that.

Exactly... I didn't have the sense that he knew what a connection string was.

> If the support guy said they didn't, keep looking for another one that does know what he's talking about.

I've chatted over the past 2 weeks with 6-7 support folks at webhost4life.com. Some know more than others, but they all say the same thing about LINQ. I AM paying for SQL Server. And I find it's quite common that the tech supp people don't really know what a connection string is.

> All hosts I know all support this. Can you give an example?

I started asking providers about LINQ because of a comment in this thread that some provider had a security issue with it. I have a contract with Webhost4life.com, and they also said they won't do multiple foreign keys or run a script on their side to convert the DBs, though the support guy was really nice. My contract does include SQL Server. I uploaded my site via ftp (FileZilla), and just tried to get the default.aspx page to run. The error said to change the <customerErrors mode="Off">, because it conflicted with the machine.config. (I thought web.config overrode machine.config.) Once I did that, I could display the page, but I got errors on all pages linked to a db, of course.

I chatted with another company in addition (I forget the name -- it's on my laptop at home) who said they didn't do LINQ. After that I started looking for LINQ in the list of supported technologies, and went through several who didn't list it. Maybe they have it and just didn't list it. There was one who had 3 levels of hosting, and the highest included LINQ in the list, but they wanted $79.99 per month for it. I started limiting my search to those who have chat support. I chatted with 3 more and explicitly asked about LINQ. The name of one was rackspace.com, who said they didn't do LINQ or multiple foreign keys or custom errors. The tech supp guy seemed very knowledgable. I finally found Applied Integration in Miami that seems to have all the technologies plus chat support with a knowledgeable guy. Brinkster looks good too. Maybe I'll try that.

> Anyway, here's to hoping this new host works out, and you get your site setup and running. Would be great to see a link to it once it's running....

It has been a very empowering experience to get a Web site running on my local machine -- not that this pilot is so magnificent. It's just a searchable bibliography that lets you add your own entries if you are registered in a particular role and checks to make sure your entry isn't already there. But it's important for me because of the potential it represents. If I can get this running, then I can do a lot more.

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

Old April 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Authorized User

Default Brinkster

I just chatted with what seemed to be a knowledgeable guy at Brinkster. He told me definitively that Brinkster does not support LINQ.

Old April 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Are you sure you're talking about the same LINQ as I am? You are talking about LINQ to SQL, right?

Quote:
I just chatted with what seemed to be a knowledgeable guy at Brinkster. He told me definitively that Brinkster does not support LINQ.
What a nonsense. This site / page: http://www.valentinajewellery.co.uk/Contact.aspx is hosted by Brinkster. When you fill in the form, a User Control picks up the request and does the following:

Code:

Using myDataContext As New ValentiaDataContext()
     ' Save in database
     Dim myClient As New Client()
     myClient.FirstName = txtFirstName.Text
     myDataContext.Clients.InsertOnSubmit(myClient)
     myDataContext.SubmitChanges()
End Using
If that's not LINQ to SQL, I don't know what is. So, Brinkster does support LINQ, and no, this is not some super expensive dedicated server package. (Don't test it out; it's a live site). Of course, the rules may have changed, but I doubt that's the case.

WebHost4Life is cheating, I think which is not good, IMO. Consider this:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...10401dfb0a78c2

This results in 75 pages that supposedly contain the word LINQ. Yyet *none* of these pages actually contains it. They are keyword optimizing on invalid stuff. Bad idea. Also, some of their other results in Google are nowhere to be found on the actual pages. I don't know about you, but because of this, I wouldn't trust them.

And multiple foreign keys is nonsense too, except for maybe those parties that let you define your database on-line. For others, where you can upload a database or SQL scripts, I see no reason why this wouldn.t be supported.

Just to give you some ideas: https://www.discountasp.net/signup/special/foundhost/ 5 dollars a month, and LINQ support according to their on specs.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
hvete (June 9th, 2010)

Old April 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Wrox Author

BTW:

Quote:
The error said to change the <customerErrors mode="Off">, because it conflicted with the machine.config.
Are you sure that's what it said? Did not it said that in order to see what real error there was you need to turn it to off as it's hiding the true error?

Quote:
(I thought web.config overrode machine.config.)
It does. Except for elements and attributes that have been marked as non-overriable. So, a host *could* set customerErrors to be non-overridable, but I see no reason to do so.... It would be stupid and could lead to information disclosure, and thus to a less secure system.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
hvete (June 9th, 2010)

Old April 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Wrox Author

BTW 2: here's quick transcript from Brinkster sales:

Quote:
Welcome to www.brinkster.com, Liz will be right with you.
Liz
Welcome to Brinkster, how may I help you today?

Imar Spaanjaars
Hi there,

Imar Spaanjaars
If I host an ASP.NET web site with you, can I use ASP.NET 3.5, SQL Server 2005 / 2008 and LINQ to SQL?

Liz
We do support ASP.NET 3.5, MS SQL 2005 and LINQ.

Imar Spaanjaars
Excellent. Thanks
Imar

hvete (June 9th, 2010)

Old April 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Authorized User

Default brinkster

I don't know what to tell you. I chatted with a person called Justin, and asked if their Pro account (http://www.brinkster.com/Hosting/Pro.aspx)supported SQL Server, because they only mention mySQL in the list there, and he said that for an additional $10 a month, I could get SQL Server. And I asked if that was 2008 which included full relational capability, including foreign keys and LINQ, and he said that it was a full 2005 SQL Server database with foreign keys, but that they did not support LINQ. And I asked if they didn't support LINQ because of security issues, and he said he didn't know why. I asked the question in the context of using SQL Server as the database for an ASL.NET Web site.

You can try their chat sales line yourself. Use the name 'Joe'. ;-) This is what several providers have told me. I presume he wants my business, and if they did support LINQ, they would tell me so. He has no motivation to tell me they don't support it if they do. I can see that clearly they do support it for you, but I am far lowlier in the ASP.NET world than you, so maybe they treat you differently. I don't want to pay for an account with Brinkster only to find out that they meant what they said, because I really like LINQ, and I use quite a bit of it. And I really have tried to upload and run a site with webhost4life.com, and failed.

I think we're talking the same LINQ. What I want LINQ for is just the sort of thing you describe here, to define a datacontext, and then use that to get at information in my databases during run time from within my C# (you use VB) code-behind routines. For example, when someone wants to add a new entry to the bibliography, I run a LINQ query against the database to see if it's already in there, and if it is, I format the entry in pretty html with quotes and italics, set the Text of an asp::Label to the existing entry. If I don't find the entry, I do a SQL INSERT. It's working nicely on my laptop.

And you are right about the customError issue. My mistake. But why didn't they display my custom error instead of telling me to turn customErrors off? Maybe the issue was too low down in the web.config itself. Still, when I turned it off, I got a page... it didn't do anything, but it looked like a Web page.

Old April 13th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
but I am far lowlier in the ASP.NET world than you, so maybe they treat you differently.
I doubt they know me, and even if they did, it wouldn't make a difference. And I didn't get the account, but the graphical designer I work with did.

Quote:
But why didn't they display my custom error instead of telling me to turn customErrors off?
If there is an error in web.config or in the IIS settings, your ASP.NET application cannot start, and hence the custom error page cannot be determined. Then ASP.NET's default behavior kicks in and shows you the standard error page. Typically, the Event Viewer tells you more, but that's not something you can look into when using a remote host.

Quote:
You can try their chat sales line yourself. Use the name 'Joe'. ;-)
See the transcript. I already did, under my own name.

Cheers,

Imar

hvete (June 9th, 2010)

Old April 13th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Wrox Author

One more thing: did you upload the files to the root of the server or to a sub folder? E.g. to www.yourdomain.com or to www.yourdomain.com/SomeSubFolder/ ?

Imar

hvete (June 9th, 2010)

Old April 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Authorized User

Default brinkster II

I tried again, and got your Liz. She seems to feel differently about LINQ. I called myself Anne:

Anne
I noticed on your Pro account that you don't mention SQL Server. Does the Pro account support SQL Server?
Liz
It does but SQL server is a $10/month add on
Anne
Is that a full version of SQL Server with multiple foreign keys?
Liz
It is the full version, yes. You can only create one MS SQL database though
Anne
So when you set up roles, the system automatically creates its own SQL database to support the roles. Does that mean you can't both have your own database and a site that supports roles?
Liz
You can only have one sql database which would be your Brinkster username. Brinkster would need to create stored procedures, etc, per your request.
Anne
Would that include LINQ?
Liz
Yes
Anne
Thanks.

I do have multiple databases in the site, as it happens, and I didn't really understand her reply to the question of the roles database that the system generates automatically.

Old April 13th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Wrox Author

I think you don't understand her answer as she didn't understand your question ;-)

The auto generation of the ASP.NET users database is a SQL Express feature. For commercial versions of SQL Server you can a) create a separate database and reconfigure the application or b) use aspnet_regsql to merge the required ASP.NET Application Services schema in your main database. Both options are explained in Chapter 18 and Appendix B.

Since you can only have one database, option b is what you're after.

Cheers,

Imar

hvete (June 9th, 2010)