Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Authorized User

Default one db

You're right (of course), and thanks. Do you know if it's common for a provider to only permit one database?

I'm amazed that you're so responsive, by the way. I really appreciate it.

Old April 14th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
I'm amazed that you're so responsive, by the way. I really appreciate it.
If you're deploying, I can imagine you need faster answers in order to proceed.... ;-)

Quote:
Do you know if it's common for a provider to only permit one database?
Yes, it's common. I have seen hosts that limit you to one database, but I've also seen others providing access to multiple databases. But, they often charge you for each database separately....

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
hvete (June 9th, 2010)

Old May 9th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Authorized User

Default SQL Server Management Studio

It's me again. Aren't you happy? I had to stop my deployment efforts for awhile, because of the single working Mom gig. But I made some more progress today. I created a domain name (mythicsound.com) and signed up and transferred it to Applied Innovations, and they created a temporary site for me (mythicsound.com.mytempweb.com), and I uploaded my site, knowing that the SQL Express databases wouldn't work, and the connection strings are wrong.

What they want is for me to make a backup of my databases and upload them and they said in support chat: "if you use sql express, you can create a backup of your database and upload it to sqlbackup.appliedi.net AFTER you create the database and user in the control panel by clicking Domains > domain name > database manager". I'm not sure I quite understood that. But they said the backup had to be done from within SQL Server Management Studio, which I could download for free.

I tried to go to the http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql which you mentioned in the book and I was redirected to a general VWD site. I clicked on Database, and with a little research decided I was x86. I'm not completely sure about that, though. I'm running Vista Home Basic 6 SP 2. I downloaded and ran the executable and it installed 9 of 10 components -- couldn't do Windows Hull? So I tried Rerun, and it still didn't work. And so I X-ed out (at which point it warned me that I would have to delete SQL Server 2008 R2) and rebooted. I think it tried to install everything but except SQL Server Management Studio.

My Web site still works, so it didn't seem to muddle anything. I'm nervous about installing things, because I blew 2 frustrating weeks realizing that VWD SQL Express was incompatible with my VS 2005 environment using SQL Server which I have to use for work. As soon as I installed VWD on top of VS 2005, SQL Server no longer worked. I'm therefore borrowing my son's laptop to do this Web site, because mine has to run VS 2005, as do my work machines.

So... Do I now uninstall everything in the SQL Server 2008 R2 folder now? Will that mess up my VWD installation? And then where do I go to reinstall SQL Server Management Studio?

Sorry to be so stupid.

Old May 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Wrox Author

Hi there,

Difficult for me to answer, as I don't know what you have installed, what failed, what succeeded and so on.

If you had Express, you probably had Express 2005 or 2008, but not 2008 R2 as it's only out for a few days. With the former two options, you could install just the Management tools from here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/Dat...lation_Options and skip the actual SQL Server server part. (e.g. leave the current instance alone, and install management tools on top of those).

Alternatively, try to let the Web Platfom Installer figure it out: http://www.microsoft.com/web/Downloads/platform.aspx

I am not sure I understand why installing VWD messes up VS 20055 or SQL Server. Has never happpened to me in the past,.

Hope this helps,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
hvete (June 9th, 2010)

Old May 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Authorized User

Default Management Tools

That looks terribly familiar. I clicked on Management Tools, and ran it without saving it to disk, which I regret, because now I don't know what it installed, what I need to uninstall. What will mess up VWD if I uninstall it. I'm downloading it again. Do you know what Management Tools installed? And do you know whether I should download Management Tools again or perhaps Database with Advanced Services. You are soooo patient. Thanks.

Old May 10th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Wrox Author

Quote:
What will mess up VWD if I uninstall it.
Theoretically: nothing, as they are two unrelated tools.
Quote:
I'm downloading it again. Do you know what Management Tools installed?
The Management Tools ;-) I think it's called something like the "Microsoft SQL Server Management Tools" in the Add/Remove Programs feature but I am not sure about that.
Quote:
And do you know whether I should download Management Tools again or perhaps Database with Advanced Services.
If all you need is the tools, you don't need "Database with Advanced Services". This latter is, as its name implies, the full database package, tools and advanced services which you don't need in this case.

Cheers,

Imar

hvete (June 9th, 2010)

Old June 6th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Authorized User

Default connectstring for aspnetdb

I have set up two databases with my commercial provider and loaded the data in by running the script I exported in Management Studio. I can see the users that I entered locally in there through MS. But when I try to go to my Default.aspx, I get the following:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The entry 'LocalSqlServer' has already been added.

Source Error:

Line 33: <add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=sql2k5g.appliedi.net;Initial Catalog=BiblioDB;User Id=zop;Password=chicken;"/>
Line 34: <!-- <add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=servername;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory| \BiblioDB.mdf; MultipleActiveResultSets=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/> -->
Line 35: <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=sql2k5g.appliedi.net;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;User Id=zop1;Password=chicken;"/>
Line 36: </connectionStrings>
Line 37: <system.web>

It won't let me override the machine.config connection string with the web.config one perhaps? The other db is working.

Last edited by hvete; June 6th, 2010 at 07:10 PM..

Old June 7th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Wrox Author

Hi there,

Take a look at the last line on page 700 for the code you need, and at page 703, section "Overriding the LocalSqlServer Connection String" for an explanation.

Cheers,

Imar

hvete (June 9th, 2010)

Old June 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Authorized User

Default Hurrah!

Everything works. I consider myself to be a (beginning) ASP.NET developer. Thanks!

Old June 7th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Wrox Author

You're welcome. Glad it's working...

Imar

hvete (June 9th, 2010)