Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 19th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Once again: Talk To Your Host!

If it works in development, your code is good. So to make it work, your host needs to provide the right configuration information. They should at least know a little bit about what you need in ASP.NET or provide you with help files and FAQs or you picked the wrong host.

Imar

P.S. Please stop calling me sir, sir

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old April 19th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Friend of Wrox

Arrow

Hello Thank you, I will talk to them regarding this.

Quote:
They should at least know a little bit about what you need in ASP.NET or provide you with help files and FAQs or you picked the wrong host.
I also think the same, I am about to change it as soon as first month of hosting is over.
Quote:
Please stop calling me sir, sir
OK! No more calling you sir, I will be calling you just Imar. By the way why you do not like to be called sir? Asking just like that.
Thank you again.

Old April 20th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Wrox Author

It looks too distant / unpersonal, and makes me feel old, sir...

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Friend of Wrox

Arrow

Quote:
and makes me feel old, sir..
It is not so, I call you sir because I respect you. OK if you do not like that I'll not be calling you sir.
OK Imar I talked to host providers and they provided me the same SMTP protocol (smtp1r.cp.365techsupport.com (outgoing server)) that I mentioned in my previous post. I think they are not getting me or may be I am not able to make them understand properly. However my gmail account works fine in production and may seem no problem but it seems unprofessional so I wanna use the email ids like jack@<domain name>.
What actually I should say them so as they understand properly and provide me proper SMTP protocol.

There are many problems with this host but I have to bear that for next 15 days (till month completion).
So please tell me what I need to say them in order to make them understand properly.
Thank you.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Wrox Author

I don't understand what you're asking, or why you're asking me. Your problem description is pretty clear, so just tell them you want it to work the way you want it to work.

BTW: the From address that you can set in messages (and in web.config) is not related to the actual account you're sending with. To "look" professional, you can just specify your @domainname account as the sender.

Cheers,

Imar

Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Friend of Wrox

Arrow

Hello Imar,
Well i will talk to them very straight forward, and very forcefully to set up everything working.

Quote:
To "look" professional, you can just specify your @domainname account as the sender.
when any user if clicks on reply button then do not you think that the message will be delivered to my gmail account.

Any ways thank you Imar, I really need to talk this time very clearly.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Wrox Author

Quote:
then do not you think that the message will be delivered to my gmail account.
Once again: Why Don't You Try It Out? Then you don't have to ask what I think, but you can now for sure yourself instead.....

Imar'

Old April 24th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hello Imar,
once again I have a problem.
I was accessing databases (MS SQL 2005) on the production via website and it was working fine by yesterday noon but as soon as I browsed my site in the morning today I got the error

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

I talked to the host but they told me that it is fine from their side. Then I cross checked it locally. I ran the visual studio and browsed the site (local one). however I changed the connection string with the production one so that it now points to the production database not the development one.
Although I was using local site but I did so just to check that is it really server problem but the databases are accessed when I access them locally and return the data of the production database.

So may you please tell me why it is happening and giving error while accessing site using domain name.
Thank you.

Old April 24th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Wrox Author

I feel like a broken record, but You Need To Talk To Your Host.

I cannot answer these type of questions, and certainly not remotely. Apparently, something is wrong with your host. My advise: move to another host and live with the problems for the next few days.

Imar

Old April 24th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
I feel like a broken record
what does it mean? Please specify it a little more perhaps it may help me.
Thank you