Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 19th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

I am off to a meeting right now, but I'll try to respond later today.

In the mean time, try this:

1. Unzip the file Chapter 5 - CMS.zip from the Source folder to a folder like c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Cms (don't use the installer, but the plain .ZIP file instead)

2. Start Visual Web Developer and choose File | Open Web Site

3. Browse to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Cms and click Open

4. Open the file web.config and remove the <location> tag at the end of the file. This removes the security from the Admin folder

5. Hit Ctrl+F5 to start the site without debugging.

6. Click the Admin button.

Do you get to see the Admin section?

I just successfully did this with the code I downloaded from the Wrox site....

Imar

Old April 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Wrox Author

Hi SoftMind,

Did you try the steps below? Got any results?

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004

Old April 21st, 2006, 01:35 AM
Authorized User

Failed to update database "C:\WEBSITES\MYCMS\APP_DATA\CMS.MDF" because the database is read-only.

I tried as per your suggestion. Now the login shows that i am not authenticated, so i tried to create a role as Adminsitrator, so that i can login. But it shows the error mentioned above.

Plus the WAT shows one user as Adminsitrator and NO ROLE yet.

Thanks

Old April 23rd, 2006, 05:38 AM
Wrox Author

Quote:
quote:Plus the WAT shows one user as Administrator and NO ROLE yet.
That is consistent with the whole issue: the Membership and the Role provider are both using a different Application. So, the user is created in one app, the Role in the other, and they don't line up.

In the WAT, simply create a new Role on the security tab, call it Administrator and assign the user account to it. From that point on, you should be able to log on.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
While typing this post, I was listening to: The Carnival Is Over by Dead Can Dance (Track 14 from the album: Dead Can Dance 1981-1998 (Limited Edition) [CD2]) What's This?

Old April 27th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Authorized User

Hi Imar,

I created everything again. I deleted the files installted with installation procedure. I downloaded the code, unzipped and installed.

I created admin, and roles again.

The same thing happens again. The admin is again creating problems with "THEMES"
Is there a way out to get rid of themes.

I am currently moe interested in cms rather than themes.

Thanks

Old April 27th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Wrox Author

Hi again,

I am sure something else must be going wrong.

The application doesn't really rely on themes. The only reason a theme is used is to style some of the GridView controls in the Management section. You can easily disable themes by removing the theme attribute from the pages element in the web.config.

However, the error you get may imply something else. I am not sure what yet, but I am determined to figure it out with you.

There are a few things I need to know, and need you to do.

First, can you describe your setup? That is, version of Windows, installed .NET Framework (1.x and 2, or only 2.0), whether you're using IIS or run the site directly in VWD and so on. Also, are you using SQL Server Express and did you install it with its default instance name of SqlExpress?

Then there are a few things you can try:

1. First, try to create a brand new web site (File | New Web Site), add a CreateUserWizard control on a page and try to sign up for an account. Does that work?

2. Open the site in VWD through the File | Open Web site command. Make sure you choose the right folder, so you see things like the App_Code and Management folders directly as root folders of the web site.

3. Next, remove the <location> tags from the web.config file. This essentially opens up the Management section for all users so you can see if it works.

4. Run the WAT and see what roles there are. Make sure there's a user and a role called Administrator.

I know the code should work, because I have seen it run on many different machines. Also, other readers are reporting success with the CMS. So, it must be a combination of the code and your machine. There is something about the code that your machine doesn't like, or the other way around.
I can only find out what's going on, by asking the right questions and making you test out the right things.

Hopefully we can make this work pretty soon.

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old May 26th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Has someone found a definite answer to the cms login problem? I'd be thankfull to know it.

Old May 26th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Wrox Author

Hi there,

In what setup do you run the site (e.g. under IIS or under Visual Studio)?

Did you create a new application in the database through the WAT as suggested in one of my previous posts?

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old May 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM

I'm sorry to give you this feedback - but it is quite frustrating, 'instantresults' which are costing me hours and hours of time. I have followed the steps above with little success.
Is it possible for you to update the download file of your chapter for this book, so that a newbie learner does not have to monkeywrench around to get started? We know it works on 'your' system - but the installation has to work on our system without first deleting, copying inserting, changing, etc etc. I know this critique is hard, but I bought this book to get some 'instant' results - and I'm hanging in there.
I am looking at simple alternative options to DNN (which tends to be slow at times and a simpler system may just be an alternative) but all your work will just have been for yourself - if others can't get to it.
I don't want to ask you to guide me through a maze. Install your system on a virgin system see the errors we get - change them and upload the changes.
I will be thankfull not to have to reinvent the wheel.
Karl

Old May 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Wrox Author

No need to apologize for your comments. You are more than right: it should work.

You can find an updated database and web.config file here: http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com/Downloads.../CmsUpdate.zip

Simply copy them over the existing ones and things should work. I fixed the missing role in the database, and remapped the existing user to that role.

Can you let me know if this works for you?

I'll send this file to Wrox as well, so they can add it to the download list / errata section.

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars