Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old August 10th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
quote:I am getting the exact same error
Which error is that?

Do you get an actual error, or do you just have problems to log in?

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old August 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Wrox Author

Oh and why did you delete your .NET 1.x folders? .NET 1.x and 2.0 can live side by side...

All you need to do is configure your web site in IIS so it runs against the .NET 2 framework. When you run the site from within VWD, .NET 1.x doesn't come into play at all....

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old August 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to abel714 Send a message via Yahoo to abel714

This was merely an attempt at a solution to get the CMS working, as so far I have not been able to get one of this working, even at the most simple level.

However, I read some of the other posts (didn't realize there were 3 pages to this original post, so I saw these other posts about adding roles, etc, so I will read through those in more detail, and apply the changes, cross my fingers, and hopefully see results).

Are these changes that are necessary to get these apps to work something that can be integrated into the zip file so they work w/o having to go through the painstaking process of having to research each of these errors? My intention is not to take any jabs at you Imar, but to simplify things a bit for myself, and for my own curiousity.

I do realize that not all changes are applicable to everyone, as everyone's system is different.

I am just trying to keep all of these changes and configuration fixes under control, as I am documenting this process as notes for myself, for future reference.

I just ended up rebuilding my laptop after a crash, and unfortunately the data restore program I normally use didn't work, for some reason, and because I'm a full time CS student, I had a backup of my class files, and had to get back to work and submit my schoolwork, so everything else is a start from scratch, again.

I'll try the changes that worked for the previous user who posted, and post my results, and move on to the next goal, getting my blog app from the book to work.

Thanks for the timely replies, and the constant patience, Imar, it is much appreciated. I realize how frustrating support can be, as I was a Network Support tech for 10 years, and have just recently crossed over into the development side of things, and I'm back where I was when I got my first computer, clueless! LOL.

I'll post back when I get my results.

Thanks again,
Mike

Old August 10th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Wrox Author

Hi Mike,

To get the CMS up and running, all you need to do is this:

1. Extract the source from the Source folder to, say c:\Cms

2. Download the updated database zip file that you find in this thread and in the errata section for the book and extract the .mdf file to the App_Data folder of the site (from step 1). Copy the web.config file from the zip file to the root of the site.

3. Open the site in VWD

4. Run

That should do the trick. Let me know if that doesn't work for you...

So, no need to add roles, accounts or whatever. That has been taken care off; all you need to do is replace two files.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old August 10th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Authorized User

Unfortunately, just extracting the updated code and copying it over the existing code for the CMS doesn't work - I get the same errors.

However, I followed your steps in response to another poster:

1. Unzip the file Chapter 5 - CMS.zip from the Source folder to a folder like c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Cms (don't use the installer, but the plain .ZIP file instead)

2. Start Visual Web Developer and choose File | Open Web Site

3. Browse to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Cms and click Open

4. Open the file web.config and remove the <location> tag at the end of the file. This removes the security from the Admin folder

5. Hit Ctrl+F5 to start the site without debugging.

6. Click the Admin button.

And everything now works, and there are not any build errors either, like I normally get when doing the <Ctrl>+F5.

Now, you said something in these posts about users and roles.

I already have Administrator and the Administrator role, but I went ahead and added my username (the username I am logged into my machine with) to the Administrator's role. Is that the correct way to do it?

Now that I have it working, what should I have in the <Location> area so as to allow security, as I would like to etch my way back into some sort of secure state with this.

Thanks for your help.

Old August 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Wrox Author

You can just put the location element back in.

Basically, the location tags blocks non authorized users from the Management folder. The allow element with the roles attribute specifies which roles are allowed to browse to that folder.

So, therefor the database should have a user account that has been assigned to the Administrator role. The updated download has that user account, so you should be able to use that database and log in with the Admin account mentioned in the book.

When you say errors (multiple times now), what errors do you get? It's hard to provide a fix if I don't know the problem.

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old August 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Authorized User

Oh, and I deleted the other .net folders because another poster had said that this made their app work. I did the same, and, suprisingly, I got further than I had, although I'm not sure why, so I am putting those back as I type and testing the successful build of my CMS again.

I just posted content to it, and it all worked, so if I can just get the security implemented, I am going to make this live within my house, and check it from other computers. I have a little web project going on with my kids, and I want to see if this app would be useful in helping them read and post messages of their own, but I want to make sure they can't make any changes, because I have a 7 year old that will figure out how to get into the admin part, and hack away, and she does this without even intending to do so. Future CS student, I don't know, but just an effort to keep my kids up to date on the technology curve in school and abroad, but at the same time, with dignity. If that's possible. :)

Old August 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Authorized User

There were over 101 errors, but I posted the first one in this group, earlier.

Here are a few:

1. Make sure that the class defined in this code matches the ‘inherits’ attribute….
2. ‘Theme’ is not a member of ‘ASP.management_contentlist.aspx’.
3. ‘Title’ is not a member of ‘ASP.management_contentlist.aspx’
4. ‘InitializeCulture’ is not a member of ‘ASP.management_contentlist.aspx’

If you would like the entire list, I did a print screen into a word document. Let me know via what means you'd like to accept this document, and I'd be more than happy to send it to you.

So, if I open back up the <Location> tags, isn't that going to reproduce the error? I already had the Administrator role when i was getting this error, and the only change I've made in that respect was add my username that I am logged into this machine to the Administrator role. Is that what made it successful?

Probably too many errors and configurations going on at once, so I will stick with my immediate concerns, which is getting the security enabled, which you have told me to re-open the <Location> tag, which I plan to do next, and my concern for security, which I will read up on in the book and your response to this to see if I understand this whole thing correctly.

Thanks

Old August 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Wrox Author

Those hundreds of errors can sometimes be caused by a single typo.

For example, if you mess up the web.config file, .NET is no longer able to compile a lot of stuff, resulting in those errors.

I can assure you, these errors are not true errors in the code; they are side effects of other (minor) problems, like a web.config file with an error.

So, it's not much use sending me those errors; they don't need to be fixed one by one; you need to fix something else.

I am still a bit surprised you can't get it to work with my latest instructions. Others have reported success with the updated database so I am pretty sure that's the cure for many problems.

It seems that in your situation something else is going on, but I don't know what. Have you tried installing other applications / websites not related to this book?

And are you sure you haven't messed up your system by now? If you're willing to delete .NET 1.x system files, you may have accidentally deleted other important stuff as well??

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old August 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Authorized User

Yes, true, I understand that hundreds of errors can be the result of a single character where it's not supposed to be.

However, prior to your fixes, I never made any changes to anything, and have learned the hard way not to go into areas I'm not completely familiar with, especially not without sufficient documentation, and a clear path to the way back to the way things were prior.

However, I re-enabled the <Location>, reconfigured the roles, and I am up and running, and all looks good. I tried it separately (w/o VSE) in both IE and FireFox, and it works in those as well.

Now, if I can just get the security down, I'll be set, so I'll be creating some normal users, and trying those w/o administrative permissions.

Somehow the ASP.NET user was removed from having rights to the cms directory and subs; I'm not sure what made that happen, but I remember explicitly adding the rights for that user when using the book's directions. I re-added the rights, and configured like I stated above, and from the initial standpoint, I'm good to go and where I'd hoped to be when I got the book and started in.

Now, on to the blog and photoalbum.

So, considering this and the other posts that had issues, how would you write up an errata for those situations, and are you going to do so?

I would like to know how I'd go about these updates and configuration changes if I were to go about this from the very start, for the first time, again, just to make sure I have my notes correct.

Thanks