Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old May 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Imar,
Thanks - and you did that on a Sunday! Some people never take a break! I have been able to work with your cms. Interestingly, afterwards it is not that complicated. I can see how I can use some of your ideas and go forward. Thank you very much!

Old May 29th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
quote:Thanks - and you did that on a Sunday!
I realize how frustrating it can be when something doesn't work while it should; especially with a book called Instant Results. So, I just had to fix it... ;)

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004

Old June 14th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Hi,

found this via google, What cms is this for? I have a problem with cms but that's for Crystal reports. Is this the same?

Thanks.

Old June 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by l2boy
 Hi,

found this via google, What cms is this for? I have a problem with cms but that's for Crystal reports. Is this the same?

Thanks.

cms = content management system - ability to edit website contents
I think it has little or nothing to do with Crystal reports.

Old June 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Wrox Author

Hi l2boy,

funnylearning is right; this has nothing to do with Crystal Reports. The CMS discussed in this thread is a Content Management System from the book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old June 15th, 2006, 01:42 AM

yea I thought so, just hoped I was lucky as this problem is a pain in the butt, sorry for the trouble.

Old June 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Authorized User

I had a problem like this today, just bought the book btw.

I found out that the CMS mdf is not configured with ROLES by default.
So when I copied the "source" folder as is and just tried to run it, I could not login with the mentioned user details.

Then I found out that I needed to use the "ASP.NET Configuration" tool within VS 2005 and then I manually added the Administrator role and secondly binded it to the Administrator user-account.

THEN my samples work...

I guess this MIGHT be your problem too then?

Regards
Carsten Berggreen
Monolith-Systems
Denmark

Old June 20th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Wrox Author

Hi Carsten ,

Yes, that's pretty much correct.

The CMS database is configured for roles, but not correctly. In the Cms.mdf database, two applications are defined: one for an app called / and one for /Cms

So, depending on how you open the site (through IIS or through VWD) you may end up with roles that are not applicable to the current setup.

Earlier in this thread, I suggested how to manually add the new roles, and a few posts ago I posted an updated database file.

However, your route is probably the quickest way to a solution: run the tool, add the roles and assigning them to the user.

Thanks for your update; hope you like the book.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old July 20th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I had the same problem and from the error you see it is simple matter all I did is change the inherit from _default to Management_Default in both aspx page and code page also same thing with content list page changed from ContentList to _ContentList and the site run perfect

http://www.dotnetspecial.com web development to meet your business needs

Old August 10th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to abel714 Send a message via Yahoo to abel714

Just an FYI, I am getting the exact same error, and have done all of the steps suggested here in this post, all to no avail.

I have posted my setup on other posts for other application examples in this book that are also not working, but in case it is needed:

xp sp2
vse 2005
all steps in book followed, verbatim, as well as update, tried installer as well as manual .zip, all to no avail.

I haven't been able to get any of the example code to work completely as of yet, but I'm optomistic.

I deleted my .net 1 and 1.1 folders, and that enabled me to at least see the CMS page, as before I could not even see it, and saw someone post that they got rid of those directories as well, and found success in a different app unrelated to this.

So far, I have been unable to find anything consistent, as I continue to try and narrow down what the problem may be. However, being so new to .NET, and Visual Studio as a whole, my hands are tied at the moment, although I do continue to learn with each and every effort.

If anyone found success to this, or may know what the problem may be, please post it. I will do the same if I find anything close.

Thanks in advance.