Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 17th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Friend of Wrox

forumuser - you must be in a slightly more easternly location to me, otherweise maybe i'm just lazy :) - just up and about now!!

No, the location doesn't matter (tho' \Program Files would be a good safe bet just so that we're on the same playing field).

Before we go any further (and after this, perhaps we could take the exchange 'offline' until we've resovled the issue) can you tell me:

1. your OS (i.e. winxp/vista etc)
2. visual studio version (2005/2008 etc)
3. your regional language (this could be part of the issue, i.e. some escape chars being recognised in the GB language set and not in yours)
4. the database that you are using (i.e. SQLServer 2005/2008)

I think that's the 'important' stuff, but if there's anything else that you feel might be important in your setup, then let me know that too.

talk soon...

jimi

http://www.originaltalent.com
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Authorized User

hi jimi. i'm in glasgow, scotland....anyway,

os: windows xp sp3 [only did that update yesterday after the issue had surfaced]

vs: using both 2005 and 2008

lang: uk

ss: 2000 & 2005 although running the generator against 2005

Old September 17th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Friend of Wrox

forumuser - ok, we're not far away then (i'm in dumfries and galloway, but was brought up in dennistoun).

I'll have a look thro the code and see where i 'feel' that the issue might be, and get back to you (i'll send you an email via the site with my email details and we can move fwd from there)

jimi

Old September 17th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Friend of Wrox

forumuser - i've had a look thro the code and found the location where that messagebox could be getting called and displayed. i've put some additional try/catch blocks around it as well as some new logic. you can download the new version (which is dll version 1.3.0.0) from here:

http://www.originaltalent.com/downloads/FlixonV2.7.zip

let me know if this takes you any closer to a workable version.

jimi

Old September 17th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Authorized User

hi jimi. that worked - although it seems like i do have to deploy it to the c: drive. still, many thanks for all your help. dumf & gall? i'm from just outside ballantrae originally. small world...

Old September 17th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Authorized User

hang on...if i run the generator against a table called for example test, in the bll i get 2 classes, test.cs and testdetails.cs. test.cs is blank! shurely shome mishtake?

...now i only get the class testdetails.cs - has there been some restructuring?
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by forumuser
 hang on...if i run the generator against a table called for example test, in the bll i get 2 classes, test.cs and testdetails.cs. test.cs is blank! shurely shome mishtake?

yes, small world indeed!! Check that you are starting from a completely 'blank' project location (i.e. that you have pointed to a new folder or that the folder that you are pointing at is completely empty). if you are in any doubts about the output, you could send me your 'test' database and then we'll be shooting from the same sheet - so to speak. I'm sure it's probably not related to the current code generation. however, you can check what was generated by opening the Report.txt file that is created in the root of the project. this lists all the actions that took place.

jimi

Old September 17th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:

...now i only get the class testdetails.cs - has there been some restructuring?
yes, after much deliberation (on my part and on that of a small group of users that did some tests recently) the classes have been restructured to reflect their purpose in the data schema.

also, the namespaces were changed to reflect their purpose and division as well. so in a word, it's been organised more tightly but this has required some changes to make this transparent.

as we're still in beta phase, i'm open to comment/suggestion on this change and/or any other suggested approaches. (of course, bear in mind that the templates can be edited to suit your own naming conventions and so this change is purely at a user level, not at the application level)

jimi

Old September 17th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Authorized User

ok thanks. i can see i'm going to have to spend some time with this. i'm sure all will become clear[er].

Old September 17th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
 ok thanks. i can see i'm going to have to spend some time with this. i'm sure all will become clear[er].

that's fine, i'm sure once you examine the organisation, you'll see that it's more focussed and easier to jump into.

keep me posted and fwd any suggestions that you feel would be appropriate.

jimi