Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 18th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Authorized User
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Translation to VB

Jimi

Finally compus mentis after a gruelling 4 week trip to OZ. Again there when Melbourne recorded a new maximum of 46.4C with four days running above 40C. Exhausting! Left the day the fires started. Normally fires are graded from 0 - 100. These were graded at 325. The fire was travelling ar 120kph. People couldn't outrun it on the country roads.

I have made good strides in translating the templates to VB. However I am uncertain about how much I need to translate of the code that appears in the <% %> codes. What is the best way to talk about what is required?
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi Wagham,

Sounds like your brief stop in AUS was not without a bit of excitement... Got relatives in Adelaide and they too are 'feeling the heat'. At one time, considered taking the family out there too - guess events like this truly coin the 'grass is always greener' phrase with a sliver of irony.

Anyway, re the <%%> sections. These are standard template placeholders and conatain boiler code that is a mixture of variables (the bits in the <%%> delimeters) and hardcoded program code. Typical examples would be something along the lines of:

public partial class <%= table.TableRowNameNoPrefix %>

The generated code would come out as a literal of:

public partial class Article

So, it's safe(ish) to say that you could change all the bits that weren't inside the <%%> sections to VB code and those variable sections would be plugged into the program code without worry.

The only caveat here is that some of the <%%> code actually calls methods in the 'Custom Code' window, which in the current templates may well return a string of c# code. So, you'd also need to look at those methods in the 'Custom Code' window and translate where neccesary. An example in the \Table\bll_class.cs.tpl would be this bit:

<%= GetPropertyValue(table.Columns[i]) %>

as this method would return property getters in c#. You'd change the code in the Custom Code (GetPropertyValue) to return a VB representation of the getter. Likewise with the section below that (<%= SetPropertyValue(table.Columns[i]) %> ). And so on, working out what return values in the Custom Code had to be made into VB syntax. The actual code in the methods in the custom code section would remain untouched, only the value being returned would have to be changed.

Hope i'm making sense here as i seem to be more jetlagged than you are by the sounds of it!!

Email me directly if you have any issues. It would certainly be greatto have a VB version of these templates 'out there' and I'm willing to work thro this with you in order to deliver a nice flexible solution that fits both camps.

http://www.originaltalent.com
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Default VB.NET

I have a project that I am doing for a client, and they would want to have all the code in VB.

I could help with the VB templates (testing/dev) if needs to be. Please update here on the status of VB templates.

Great effort everyone.
Thanks
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by doknek View Post
I have a project that I am doing for a client, and they would want to have all the code in VB.

I could help with the VB templates (testing/dev) if needs to be. Please update here on the status of VB templates.

Great effort everyone.
Thanks
doknek,

If you want to liaise with wagham, then i think you stand a great chance of making this happen. I know he's only able to make strides when time permits, so perhaps if you touched base, you'd be able to sort out some sort of shared approach to getting the VB versions finalised.

I'd really love to see this happen to, keep me in the loop.

all the best for now.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:23 AM
Authorized User
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doknek View Post

Great effort everyone.
Thanks
Hi Donek

Sorry to be so tardy getting back to you, but as Jimi said, I can only do this in my spare time, which isn't a lot.

I have translated about 50% of the code - the easy 50%. If we could make contact via email we could split the work between us and get things done that much quicker. What is the best way to achieve this?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:57 AM

Default Latest version of Code Generator

I'm trying to track down the latest version of this code generator.

jimi - i can no longer get to your site is there any way i can get to it.

I also saw that a code generator was done us T4 does anyone know if this V1 or the latest version was used for the T4 Implementation

thanks in advance
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhou14 View Post
I'm trying to track down the latest version of this code generator.

jimi - i can no longer get to your site is there any way i can get to it.

I also saw that a code generator was done us T4 does anyone know if this V1 or the latest version was used for the T4 Implementation

thanks in advance
Ok, chnaged the links to gatehousemusic*.* - you should be able to download now.

Let me know of any issues.

Cheers