Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 31st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Authorized User
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I've downloaded the latest version and installed it. When I tried to use it, I got an "Unable to connect to database" when trying to connect to an SQL2005 database located on a server. I am connected to the database in an application I am writing so there should be no problem with it.

As a separate question, would the code generated by Flixon be usable without modification as the basis for a VB.NET Windows application?

Happy New Year
wagham
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagham View Post
I've downloaded the latest version and installed it. When I tried to use it, I got an "Unable to connect to database" when trying to connect to an SQL2005 database located on a server. I am connected to the database in an application I am writing so there should be no problem with it.

As a separate question, would the code generated by Flixon be usable without modification as the basis for a VB.NET Windows application?

Happy New Year
wagham
hi wagham,

not quite sure about the unable to connect message. i would suggest perhaps trying to use a different 'name' for the database connection in case there's some kinda conflict going on with the currently attached instance. i'll look into your question a bit more next week if you can send me as much detail as you can about the issue.

and yes, you'd be able to use a c# dll in a vb.net windows app no problem.

talk next week...

http://www.originaltalent.com
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimibt View Post
hi wagham,

not quite sure about the unable to connect message. i would suggest perhaps trying to use a different 'name' for the database connection in case there's some kinda conflict going on with the currently attached instance. i'll look into your question a bit more next week if you can send me as much detail as you can about the issue.

and yes, you'd be able to use a c# dll in a vb.net windows app no problem.

talk next week...
Hi jimibt

I am a little confused. I have downloaded a flixon_site_generator.msi file and a FlixonV3.06.zip file. It is the .msi file that is giving me the "Unable to connect" message.

If I extract the .zip set of files and run Site Generator.exe, I don't even get as far into the run. I have entered the Namespace: , the DB Path/Name as Data Source.Initial Catalog out of the connection string in the app.config file, and checked that the Template Path: points to the correct folder. When I select Next >, I get the following message:

You should enter your database details now (via the DB Path/Name button) as you'll only have to add it later!!. Also, you should point to the correct templates and adjust the namespace if required.

I have also tried all combinations of a \\ on the front of the DB Path/name and a / in place of the .. The same message keeps coming up.

wagham
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
Hi jimibt

I am a little confused. I have downloaded a flixon_site_generator.msi file and a FlixonV3.06.zip file. It is the .msi file that is giving me the "Unable to connect" message.

If I extract the .zip set of files and run Site Generator.exe, I don't even get as far into the run. I have entered the Namespace: , the DB Path/Name as Data Source.Initial Catalog out of the connection string in the app.config file, and checked that the Template Path: points to the correct folder. When I select Next >, I get the following message:

You should enter your database details now (via the DB Path/Name button) as you'll only have to add it later!!. Also, you should point to the correct templates and adjust the namespace if required.

I have also tried all combinations of a \\ on the front of the DB Path/name and a / in place of the .. The same message keeps coming up.

wagham
wagham,

the 'best way' is to use the V3.06 as you're doing. Then, download this quick instruction document which shows the required steps:

http://www.originaltalent.com/downlo...eGenerator.doc

This shows you what you'd expect to see in the intial setup phases.

Let me know how you get on.

Old January 5th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
wagham,

the 'best way' is to use the V3.06 as you're doing. Then, download this quick instruction document which shows the required steps:

http://www.originaltalent.com/downlo...eGenerator.doc

This shows you what you'd expect to see in the intial setup phases.

Let me know how you get on.
Thanks jimibt

I might have known! If I do it as per the book, things work as they should! I put it down to old age, and the usual User reluctance to read the manual.

Your next task for this excellent generator is to allow a choice of .cs or .vb !!!!
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
Thanks jimibt

I might have known! If I do it as per the book, things work as they should! I put it down to old age, and the usual User reluctance to read the manual.

Your next task for this excellent generator is to allow a choice of .cs or .vb !!!!
wagham,

glad you got it sorted. another bit of good news is that you can create/modify the templates to output .vb code. it's merely a matter of opening the template(s) in the Template Builder and then working your way thro the code, modifying the existing code sections as you go (changing the c# syntax to vb.net systax). I never had a need to do this as our 'shop' standardises on c# but it's certainly an option, tho' as you rightly have ascertained, you can call a c# dll from a windows vb.net app, so isn't a showstopper if you just want to access to the functionality in the codebase that suits your needs.

give me a shout if you need a hand with anything else in this 'area'

Old January 7th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
wagham,

glad you got it sorted. another bit of good news is that you can create/modify the templates to output .vb code. it's merely a matter of opening the template(s) in the Template Builder and then working your way thro the code, modifying the existing code sections as you go (changing the c# syntax to vb.net systax). I never had a need to do this as our 'shop' standardises on c# but it's certainly an option, tho' as you rightly have ascertained, you can call a c# dll from a windows vb.net app, so isn't a showstopper if you just want to access to the functionality in the codebase that suits your needs.

give me a shout if you need a hand with anything else in this 'area'
Jimi

Having looked at the templates, I have no idea how to open them. I could see how to create one in the .NET IDE but not how to open an existing template.

I then decided to translate the generated code. I can translate about 90% of it but my knowledge of C# is not sufficient to do the rest. Comparing it to the VB version of TBH helped, but not in all cases.

Anyway, everything stops for a month now as I am off on holiday tomorrow.
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
Jimi
Having looked at the templates, I have no idea how to open them. I could see how to create one in the .NET IDE but not how to open an existing template.
wagham,

use the Template Builder.exe to open the existing templates. you can then edit and save as required.

hope you enjoy the holiday - a wild guess would suggest australia/NZ at this time of the year

have a great one...

Old January 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
wagham,

use the Template Builder.exe to open the existing templates. you can then edit and save as required.

hope you enjoy the holiday - a wild guess would suggest australia/NZ at this time of the year

have a great one...
Jimi

Thanks for that. Again old age not finding the obvious. As I say, some syntax is unknown to me but I will have a go and see where I get.

The holiday is in Melbourne to see my grandkids.
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
Jimi

The holiday is in Melbourne to see my grandkids.
have a great trip - good time of year to be exiting old blighty!!

catch you again